My Dog is Afraid of Me

My 3 1/2 year old German shepherd is so scared of me I don't know what to do. Every time I go near him or in a room he is in, he goes the other way looking real scared. If I call him, you would think he is deaf. For some unknown reason this dog just doesn't like me. I have never hit him, he has always been well behaved. This all started about 6 months ago and it hurts me. I am the one in our house that does everything for him. Please help. I want my dog to love me as much as I love him.

By Jap from Hackensack, NJ

Be very gentle with him, especially your voice. Don't raise your voice to him. Keep telling him "it's all right sweetie, no one is gonna hurt you." Don't make sudden moves toward him, sit quietly and see if he will come to you for treats or for a favorite toy. I feel so bad for both you and the dog. Has anything changed? Someone different in the house?

When I got remarried, my little Shitzu would stay under the table all the time. He was scared of my husband's louder voice, and not being used to him being there. My husband worked awfully hard to gain his trust and did, but it was a while. Dogs can get their feelings hurt just like people, so don't give up on him. Just keep being sweet, hopefully he will come around.

Agree with the other poster who mentioned new behavior if there's been a change in your household; you don't mention being male or female. Is it possible that another person in the house ( or a neighbor or visitor that may resemble you), same gender as you, has done something to frighten the dog?

Also agree that you can work up trust by being caring, calm and consistent with your dog; but also keep an eye and ear out for anyone else he comes into contact with to see that everyone is also treating him that way.

March 5, 2013 Flag

I have a 6 year old mini Fox Terrier. She has always been happy and friendly, but recently her personality and behaviour has just changed. She is scared to come to me and won't let anyone touch her. If I go up to her she will try to bite me. When I call her name she will just look at me or walk further away. Her tail and ears are always down as if she is in trouble. Nothing has changed at home. What could be wrong? I don't know what to do. My dog just wants to be left alone.

By Yvette

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Call and talk to the vet. Sounds like it could be a medical problem.

It is definitely time to take your dog to the vet! I agree with Java-this sounds like a medical problem. To me it sounds very serious, indicative of something neurological going on.

Has your dog suffered a head bump recently? Something as minor as a bump against a wall can cause problems.

Or these strange new behaviours could signal a complication of an canine flu-like illness. Dogs and cats don't always show that they are fighting off infections but those infections can result in the symptoms you're describing.

This is very serious, and I hope you will update us on how your fur-baby is doing.

It sounds to me like your dog may be in pain. I would make sure she got a checkup right away. It takes a lot of pain for a dog to act that way. Good luck.

dog that looks afraid
My Dog is Afraid of Me
Pets Dogs AdviceMarch 26, 2010
dog on laminate flooring
Dog Afraid of Laminate Floor
Dog Hearing Loud Noise
Dog Afraid of Loud Noises
A dog that is afraid.
Training a Dog to Not Be Afraid
scared dog
Dog is Afraid to Go Outside
🎉
🎄