Vomit on a Leather Couch

Leather couches have their own challenges for cleaning, but vomit, with it's high acid content and lingering smell poses it's own unique problem. This guide is about vomit on a leather couch.

Cleaning a Leather Couch

November 2, 2006 Flag

I am looking for advice to get the smell of vomit out of a leather couch? My 20 month old was sick on our leather couch and I have washed it with different cleaners but I can still smell it when I go to sit down. It's not a nice smell. I am a little embarassed to have anyone come over in fear they smell it. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Susan from Ontario, Canada

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

you don't say what kind of finish you have but if it is smoothe, try saddle soap. you may have to really rub and rub but it usually gets leather looking and smelling nice again. smell the saddle soap first....you may not like the smell of the soap!

I found a solution that cleaned 2 year old vomit from my leather couch, from a silmilar situatoin of a child being sick. Buy foaming Saddle Soap from an equestrian store. This will clean the leather down to the source of the smell (in my case I had tried several remedies including Nature's Miracle, FeBreeze, and other items to clean/mask the smell). The Saddle Soap brand I used was Fiebings. Then I put A LOT of fresh unused baking soda on the leather and rubbed it in (don't use the stuff that has been sitting in your refridgerator). VAcuum up the excess. This will kill the smell about 50% and open any barrier that keeps the leather from getting wet. Then after the leather dries for a day or two, make a water and baking soda "batter" and rub it on the leather. The solution will soak in, so you'll see the leather darken from being wet. Let this bry a bit and just use a vacuum brush to remove the dried baking soda. After rubbing off any excess baking soda, let the leather dry, then treat the leather with appropriate leather conditioner for your couch. I used Lexol Conditioning Wipes which I also found at the equestrian store. I can't belive I finally have a couch that I don't have to hide or wrap in blankets. This has changed the color a little of the leather, but I think it is better than having a couch that reeks or having to resort to buying a new one.

I was desperate to remove vomit odor from my sick 11 year old bulldog. I tried everything with no luck. Finally, I tried mellielou's method and the sofa smells so much better. I've only done the first saddle soap/baking soda application, and am excited to smell the results after I apply the paste in a few days. Thanks mellielou!

Home and Garden Cleaning LeatherJanuary 14, 2014
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
Cleaning Carpet
Removing Vomit Stains from Carpet
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather