Cooking While Your Kitchen is Being Built

We are building a home and we haven't completed our kitchen. This has been a challenge with the cold weather as I have no oven. My indoor cooking consists of a microwave. You have to be pretty organized to complete a hot meal.

We have moved our gas grill onto porch (right by front door with the cold). It also has a gas burner. I use the burner during day while light out and make a big pot of soup sometimes. Almost anything you can cook in an oven, you can do on the gas grill. What we do is put bricks (leftover from building fireplace) on the grill and put food in dish on bricks.

Last night we had chicken thighs in bake pan with marinade, with roasted potatoes. Yum! Another tip is sink. I won't have a sink for a bit and I kept going out to motor home to wash dishes. We put in a $30 laundry sink where the sink will go and I will use it for gardening when I get a "real" sink.

Source: My smart husband.

By Sherri from Lyle, WA

One thing that might make your life easier on colder days is a crock pot. They are inexpensive, and you can cook virtually anything in them. I even saw someone on the Food Network bake a cake in a crock pot!

We went through that some years back when 2 of my boys were small. We ate in the living room (no dining room) and I washed dishes in 2 dishpans in the bathtub. Back killer that was! I cooked on 2 hot plates on a table in the living room. The children thought it was great fun to have picnics every day! Remember what they always say, "These are the 'good old days!'"

A few years ago we were without a stove for at least a month. I got by with cooking with an electric skillet, microwave, crock pot, fry daddy and gas grill. Only thing I missed was baking. So...as soon as we got the new stove I made an angel food cake...from scratch!

Try an electric skillet - I use one a lot on the back porch during the summer months to keep the heat out of the kitchen.

I'd recommend you spend $12 & buy yourself either a propane single burner stove from Walmart or spend the same & buy a new electric one burner from Walgreens drug store (if you have Walgreens in your area) & sometimes you can even get a $5 rebate! You won't be sorry...

Of course you won't be wasting your money because you can always use either of them later on in a hotel room while traveling to make coffee or food, or you can use the electric one to keep something hot at a buffet & the propane one when camping... Of course, I bet you don't even need a tiny stove to camp with since you have a big one in your motorhome!

My first thought was that you need a crockpot!!!

While our kitchen was being remodeled, we used a hot plate for nights we wanted pasta, a crockpot for daily stew type meals (pot roast, chicken). Microwave for other items. A charcoal grill outside for other meals. I thought the worst part was cleanup afterwards. Without our dishwasher & sink we resorted to the laundry room sink & bathroom. Made for very messy cleanup!

Food and Recipes Food Tips BBQ and GrillJanuary 9, 2009
Visiting the San Juan Capistrano Mission
Visiting San Juan Capistrano (CA)
Built-in Book Shelf
Repainting a Built-in Shelf
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires
🎄