Have a Recycled Christmas

While reading my ThriftyFun newsletter and leaving an answer for someone regarding less expensive Christmas shopping, an idea popped into my head. If your family would be willing, check it out now, how about a recycled Christmas? Everyone has something in their home that they never, or seldom, use. Give it as a 'white elephant' Christmas gift.

In my apartment building some of the tenants draw names for a secret Santa gift exchange. Many of the gifts turn out to be 'recycled' or homemade. Most of us are retired seniors with limited income.

What you can't use, probably someone else can.

Great idea! Christmas is also a great occasion to pass on family heirlooms and other sentimental things like photos, etc.

Love this idea! Sort of like going to a garage sale, only you didn't have to pay for anything! :-D

Hi there Linda

What a good idea. It makes you de-clutter your own home at the same time. Easier than having a garage or car boot sale

Regards Polly from uk

Great idea. Also now is the time to start shopping for items on sale to put away for Christmas gifts.

Why not carry it a step further and give a gift of one of your possessions that someone else has admired? That way you know that the gift will be , "just right " for the receiver. Homemade gifts are real treasures as you are giving 2 gifts in 1--- your time and the gift itself. The former is priceless as we can never get more time and the latter is thoughtful to say the least.

I have been thinking about this also.Most of my family are into recycling,being green etc.It's time we took it a step further and cut out the excessive packaging of Christmas.I love to bake so this Christmas I will be making Christmas gifts in the form of cakes,cookies and fudge.I love the idea of recycling items you already own to someone else.Some people call it re-gifting I call it practical and more earth friendly.