Maternity Brides Maid Dress

I have 2 bridesmaids from Japan who have never worn dresses and my maid of honor will be 8 1/2 months pregnant at the time of my wedding in May. I understand you can take pretty much any dress and make it fit to her body but she feels uncomfortable unless it is a maternity dress. SO- I have been looking and looking to stores, outlets, websites but I can't find a dress for a reasonable price.

I will be paying for all 3 dresses. That is my gift to them. Can anyone please help me? I need cheap places to get 3 dresses that match, one in maternity. And yes, I have been looking at empire dresses. I would ideally like to pay less than $100 per dress. Thank you

Kayla from NJ

Have you thought of buying two simple cut designed dresses with a pretty fabric and then have a dressmaker make a maternity dress for the lady from the same material or get a home economics teacher at a high school who knows how to sew and inquire if she would make it using a pattern similar to the style of the other two dresses? You may not have to pay a huge fee or you could advertise in your paper for someone to make a maternity dress with the fabric chosen.

You probably should have someone make them. I sew, and depending upon the fabric kind and amount, you should be able to do it for 100 each. You might also consider doing different shades of a similar style.

David's Bridals has a wide selection of bridesmaids dresses, most of which come in the same fabrics and colors. They probably run about $100. My sister-in-law simply picked a color, and let her bridesmaids chose the dress they most liked. It really was a beautiful wedding and everyone looked nice. I also think you can order the fabric that is used in these dresses and perhaps could have one made in a maternity style.

When my son was married three girls in the wedding party were pregnant. They ordered dresses in a size larger than normal and then had them altered -- this style worked ok this way.. but all might not. JCP have dresses on special sales sometimes and you can purchase them thru cataloge and then alter. Also try Overstock.com -- often you can find very nice things for less than other places.

Try dillards, burdines, jc pennies, and yes, buy the one needed for your pregnant friend in a larger size and have it altered. I bought 3 dresses and my maid of honor could not fit in hers when the wedding came. So the seamstress removed fabric from the other 2 and put it into her dress to make it fit and right now major department stores are clearing out last years inventory.

Have you though about not making them wear a dress at all. There are some really nice bridesmaid outfits based on pants- this may suit your bridesmaids better and still look fantastic.

red dress pants- http://www.therosedress.com/dresses/dresses-pg21.html

My daughters pregnant but I found a company you can hire from. It does make my tum look big in this and we hired a dress for my daughter at £70.00.

My matron-of-honor had JUST had a baby when I got married. We bought a dress with an empire waist in a size bigger than she normally wore. It needed some alterations (thanks Mom!) but it looked great and it disguised her post-baby belly. An empire waist (right under the bust) is so forgiving, and looks nice on just about everyone. My other bridesmaid was 6 feet tall and wore a size 18. She looked just as fabulous! I bought the dresses at JC Penney on the clearance rack. $40 each in 2002. Perhaps you can pick a color and let everyone choose their own outfit? Chadwicks.com has some amazing dresses on clearance right now, if you decide to go with similar dresses. Your pregnant bridesmaid might feel more comfortable in a 2 piece outfit, so maybe doing an elegant blouse with dressy pants or skirts might work well, too.

I agree that checking with a home ec teacher, or checking at your local tux rental shop (they often have a tailor or seamstress they can refer you to) to see if someone can alter an existing dress or make a classy maternity gown.

You can find all kinds of dresses on Amazon.com for great prices.

I had the same problem! only I had two maids with new bellies. You can never go wrong with black. It slims you down, and these days you don't even have to have matching dresses for the maids. I had all my maids go with me to JC Pennys and they all picked out a beautiful black dress that they felt great in. I had the final say in what dress, and I have to say they all looked amazing! and it was cheap! more so than having matching dresses altered to fit there bellies!

Try looking into Motherhood Maternity stores. Just google for locations. Also Davids Bridal has some pretty good deals. Or you can google "Born NAked" brand. Hope this helps n congrats.

Weddings DressesFebruary 28, 2008
selecting a wedding dress
Selecting a Wedding Dress
Tablecloth Dress
Making a Tablecloth Dress
Maternity Clothes
Saving Money on Maternity Clothes
Renewing Vows in a Wedding Dress
Choosing a Dress to Renew Your Vows
🎄