Use Eggshells for Slugs

Spring is the time I start saving my eggshells to crush up for the garden. Why you ask? I sprinkle the crushed eggshells around the base of the plants to keep the slugs off my tomatoes. Apparently, they don't like sharp objects!

By colleekely from Albany, NY

We have found from experience that if you toss your used egg shells into a cup or can and let them dryout before you crush them that they don't stick together. They also break up into smaller pieces allowing you to get more shells into one container.

I chuck mine in the bottom of the oven when I'm baking and then crush them.

Marg from England.

Do you keep them in the freezer so it doesn't smell up the house?

If you bake them in the oven, let them cool, crush them and keep them in screw-top jars they won't smell. No need for the freezer.

Marg from England.

I rinse mine out, then put them in the microwave for 2 minutes. When I get a nice amount of them, I put them in a tall jar and use my "wand blender" to crush them up nice and fine.

I also tried everything to keep slugs from my pots with hosta's, nothing worked untill...I got this tip to put copper band around the pots. Not one slug passed!!

Slug on a Leaf
Getting Rid of Slugs
Home and Garden Gardening Helpful HintsMarch 15, 2011
English daisies.
Taking Photos of Your Garden
Garden Flag
Making Garden Flags
Trowel and Garden Gloves
Buying Garden Tools
Rice paper butterfly on small pink flowers
Making a Butterfly Garden