Gardening Co-op

contest winner icon

My in-laws, parents, and our family all plant gardens. We always ended up with the same things. This year, we are planting different types of tomatoes. We are planting cucumbers and Brussels sprouts. My parents are planting butternut squash and watermelon. My in-laws are planting corn and onions. Then we can all swap the extra. We will even share some with my brother who will give us back apples in the fall. This way we don't have too much of any one thing.

By BarwickJ from Ottumwa, IA

I'm glad to see this was a contest winner in 2006, it deserved it! It's still a winner now in 2012, too, I think I'm going to see if I can get my neighbours in on a gardening co-op as each of them seems to have a speciality plant they grow very well in their veg patches amid several so-so plants.

Thank-you ThriftyFun, for reprinting this great idea!

I agree, I think this is an excellent idea also. We have 6 raised beds that we've been using the last couple years. Some veggies do well in them, others not so well. Last year, one of the surprises that did well was the lemon cucumbers. We'll be planting them again this year I think. Our growing season and climate here in WA is much different than that of Iowa, so we have to adjust our crops for that. Some of our friends have gardens too and we may do this same crop sharing idea. I plan on discussing it with them soon.

I too love this idea & also lemon cukes! Do you have any tips for growing them? I only got 3 or 4 off my plants last year & only at the end of the summer - as they seemed to take so long to grow & then the Hurricane came right after. Thanks for any advice in advance.

A girl holding a basket full of vegetables.
Sharing Garden Produce
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJanuary 30, 2006
Green Gardening Tips
Green Gardening Tips
Square Foot Gardening
The Basics of Square Foot Gardening
Hydroponic Gardening
Hydroponic Gardening
Small Walled Garden
Gardening in Small Spaces