Making Soap Using Melt and Pour

I have been making soap using "melt and pour" soap with some success. But the only thing at the moment that I cannot master is when I tried to add oatmeal to make an exfoliating soap. The oats sink to the bottom. I have tried the finer meal, but it still happens. Has anyone any ideas why this is happening? Many thanks.

By helen from UK

I remember you asking about coloring soaps a while back! :-) I've added abrasives a couple different ways. The easiest was to start with a suspension melt and pour soap. It is a base made specifically for adding something like your oatmeal or my seeds, so that they remain in suspension instead of sinking. If you have a hard time finding this type of base in your area, you could try letting the melted soap cool slightly, and then mix in your oatmeal. Wait a minute or two, and mix again. You might end up with some bubbles from mixing, but as the soap cools a bit it will thicken, and hopefully that will help keep the oatmeal from sinking.

If you haven't looked at Majestic Mountain Sage for a while (from my other post), you should go check it out. They now have a blog and update more frequently. Have fun!

If you add your oatmeal after the soap has cooled just a bit it won't sink. Also if you grate soap to melt, mix your oatmeal with the grated soap the residue will help just as putting raisins in flour before mixing them in cake keeps them from sinking to the bottom.

Striated homemade soap in reds, pinks, and blue.
Making Melt and Pour Soap
Crafts Soap MakingFebruary 26, 2011
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Making Soap on a Rope, Heart Shaped Soap on a Rope
Making Soap on a Rope
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
🎉
🎄