CoolingHome Improvement

Use Mylar on Your Windows

My kitchen, bathroom and son's room are on the side of the house that get the evening sun. Unfortunately, that means these are the hottest rooms in the house to come home to. I bought 2 simple room darkening shades from a local box store and put them up in the kitchen and bathroom. They work great but my son's room still got overly hot. So much so that he could not enjoy the room.

My mother after returning from her Florida vacation, had brought my son back a "blanket" that was just like the one the astronauts used. It was just a large sheet of mylar. He liked it, but after 4 years, was still in the original package. So, I opened the box and unrolled this sheet of mylar. I cut it to fit his window top and bottom (that way if he wanted to open the window he could) and taped it around all sides with painters tape. It worked so well! I cannot believe the difference in temperature of his room!

Since then I have seen these sheets of mylar in several stores. It would be a great way to save money if you have the same situation or if you have someone who sleeps during the day because of a night job. The room is totally dark and very comfortable. Plus it saves big time on our A/C bill during the summer months. We take it down during the winter months so the sun can heat the room therefore reducing our heating bill.

By Lissco from Salem, VA