Can I Use 'Fruit Fresh' When Making Baby Food?

I have been making my son's baby food and I noticed that the baby food on the market uses ascorbic acid and citric acid with the jars that contain fruit. I know ascorbic acid is vitamin c and that reduces the browning that can occur with fruits.

I went looking for something like this in my grocery store and I found something called fruit fresh, but it also contains dextrose and silcone dioxide. Are these things safe for a baby?

Julia from Houston, TX

I would not worry about adding anything - the only reason they add it to the commercial foods is for cosmetics. If anything, you can use a little orange or lemon juice.

Are you jarring or freezing your foods? I made mostly veggies and fruits for my son, and froze them with no additives at all.

hope this helps.

Not only is making your own food less expensive, it's safer (if you use organics, even more so). They only add the ascorbic acid to keep the food the right color. You don't even have to add that, do you think the baby cares that the nanas are a little brown?

Also, once they are on oatmeal, take instant Quaker oatmeal and whiz in the blender or food processor, instant oatmeal that has a little texture too it and WAY cheaper.

Have at it and good for you, for feeding your baby wisely and frugaly.

If you want to avoid the brown color, you can simply add a little lemon juice to your fruit mix. Not enough to make it taste tart, just a bit will do (I haven't done this with bananas, so I'm not sure how that would work, but it's great with other fruits like apples and pears). When your baby is old enough to eat slices of fruit, you can precut fruit like apples and sprinkle them with lemon juice too so they don't turn brown.

i just love it when i know a mama is making her own baby food; i did, too, and my baby just turned 18. in vicki lansky's Wonderful book, feed me, i'm yours, she says to freeze everything and add nothing, and that babies prefer the natural sweetness of fruit with no additives. the plop method was to drop fruit or vegetables into single serving plops, freeze hard and then store in a ziploc in the freezer. the cube method was to freeze baby food in ice trays, pop them out and then store in a ziploc in the freezer. it took no time for the plops to reach room temperature, the cubes took a little longer. my daughter's favorite thing was butternut squash.

Don't add anything! The best, healthiest, foods are the ones that are natural with out all the chemicals and preservatives. Just like fresh fruits and veggies without added butter, salts, etc., is the healthiest for you to eat, the same is true with your baby. I agree with the post about freezing the prepared fruits and veggies in the ice cube trays or whatever so your food stays fresh. Good for you for making your own baby food. I wish I would have.

Dish of homemade carrot baby food. It is surrounded by fresh carrots and a ceramic bunny.
Homemade Baby Food Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceJanuary 31, 2008
A baby eating organic baby food.
Making Your Own Organic Baby Food
Freezing Baby Food. Jar of Baby Food with Spoon
Freezing Baby Food
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower