AdviceClothing

Shrinking Denim Jeans

Can anyone tell me how to shrink denim jeans? I have 2 pairs of jeans that are too big. They cost $100.00 a piece, so throwing them out is not an option. I've tried washing and drying on the highest setting (over and over), and I've also boiled them to no avail. I love these jeans! Please help!

Annie from Camp Humpfries, South Korea

Are you sure you can't return them? I have returned jeans I wore after the baby (for two months) and got a smaller size. As long as the tags are legible, and tell them what is up....even if you get all minus 10-20% it can go to a less expensive pair!

I mean the tags INSIDE the jeans (you can just say they were a gift)

I'm afraid you may be out of luck. Not many clothes shrink these days. It seems fabrics are pre-shrunk before making the garments. If you have gone as far as boiling them, they are not going to shrink. Do you have a friend who could wear the jeans? Then at least they won't go to waste.

Another idea is to have them altered. I don't know about Korea, but my husband visited the Phillipines often while in the military. The seamstresses there were hugely talented, top-notch, and were not hugely expensive. I'm sure you can find good seamstresses in Korea too.

Good luck!

If you can't return or exchange for a smaller size, have you thought about having them altered by a tailor? This would be costly for most jeans, but you have an investment in these andlove them, so with altering, you could at least wear them and get some benefit from your investment. The tailor could also preserve the unique jean seaming.

Since you live in S. Korea, it might be a good idea to take them to a tailor and have them taken in. I've been to tailors in Japan, Hong Kong, and S. Korea, and they don't charge much (compared to the US). It's worth $5-15 if it will save your jeans and you will also get a custom fit.

Just take the in at the bottom Then take out the stitching when they get to small()

just curious, what would be the best way to stretch jeans?

Wear them for a week straight without washing, make sure they feel less firm than when washed, then wash in hot - repeat as desired.

try drying them with a blowdryer on high setting

Hey, I have a denim jacket that's a little too baggy on the shoulders and a little too dark. I'm afraid to use bleach but I want it to look worn out and faded. Any ideas?

Can you really shrink jeans by boiling them and then drying them?

If you'll take them to the cleaners, have them starched and pressed they will shrink in size (34" waist-will be a 33") . I will take 5 or 6 times to see any results. The heavier starch the better. It's a Texas thing, starched jeans and boots. Ive been doing it for years.