Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Planting Peach Pits

Can I get some information on planting peach pits?

By Jeff from Indian Head, MD

By Robyn Fed [388]09/15/2010

I recall reading where they need to be put in the refrigerator or the freezer for a while before planting them. You could be successful just planting them but it might not germinate at all without mimicking their life conditions in nature. http://www.ehow.com/how_4891911_plant-peach-tree-pit.html

By billsmith09/13/2010

Letting a seed dry out is a myth. But that's not the issue since it will dry quickly anyway. You can plant peach pits and they will germinate and make a tree that will actually make peaches but the quality of the peaches is usually inferior. All peach trees that nurseries sell are grafted with certain rootstock. I have several trees planted from pits and rarely get really nice, sweet peaches. Back to your question, there is little preparation. Just plant the things. But it's better to just buy a good variety of peach tree suited for your area.

By Vicki [21]09/07/2010

I am not any planting expert :), but the secret to planting any kind of pit is to let it dry out first.

Here are questions related to Planting Peach Pits.

Question: Planting a Dried Peach Pit

I dried out peach pits last year. All the info I can find is for fresh pits. Will the information stay the same? Or do I just plant them and hope for the best?

By Candy

Most Recent Answer

By Judy = Oklahoma07/05/2011

I don't have an answer to your question, but a comment on what MooseMom said. I've heard also that you can't really grow peaches from pits, you have to buy the tree. But my mom has a peach tree in her yard that she got from her dad, who happened to be eating a peach on his porch & threw the pit into his compost pile. It sprouted & started growing, so she dug it up(much to his amusement as he told her it would never grow fruit) & planted it in her own yard down the road. Twenty years later that crazy peach tree produces so many peaches every year that mom has to prop the branches up with boards! She wishes there was something she could do to make it stop producing! LOL!

Good luck with your peach pit, I hope it grows for you!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Planting Peach Pits

By Ellen Brown

Q: A friend brought us peaches from a tree in his yard and these are the sweetest, juiciest peaches I've ever had. I saved some pits, but now don't have any idea how to plant them. I would appreciate any help in telling me how or even if I can plant them. We have peach trees, but they were bought as trees, as was his. I have no idea what kind of peaches they are and neither does he. The tree is about 5 years old.

Thank you for any help.
Linda

A:

You can certainly plant the pit from your neighbor's peach tree, but understand that the resulting tree (and fruit) is unlikely to look or taste like your neighbor's. This is because the peach pit (seed) from the peach you ate was the result of the pollination of one peach flower by the pollination of another peach flower-possibly from another peach tree. This results in offspring that will always differ from both parents. Still, it's worth trying just to see what happens. You'll need to stratify the pit (mimic cold conditions) artificially or by Mother Nature. To do this naturally, plant the pit (about 4 inches deep) this fall and cover with an inch of straw or pine needles. Water thoroughly. You can cover the planting with a small screen to prevent garden critters from digging it up. Remove the screen when the seed starts to sprout. For artificial stratification, place the pit in an air-tight bag filled with moist peat moss, a potting medium or paper towels and place in your refrigerator's crisper for at least 3 months. Plant it outdoors in the spring.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

RE: Planting Peach Pits

Save peach pits to plant.

If the pit has dried out, soak it overnight in water. Plant in 2 to 3inches of potting medium. Some pits will germinate after 2 or 3 weeks, some after 2 or 3 or more months. Some may not germinate at all, so try different varieties.

Peach pits sometimes germinate better after a cold treatment: Put the pit in a zip lock bag with enough potting medium to cover. The soil should be just barely moist. Put the zip lock bag in a refrigerator. It may take 2 to 3 months to see growth. Transplant to a pot once the root is a 1/2 inch or more in length. This procedure is called stratification. Plant in the spring, after danger of frost. You will not receive fruit for the first 3-5 years. (09/10/2005)

By Kelly

Archive: Planting Peach Pits

How do you prepare peach pits to plant right from the peach?

By kattim23 from Estill, SC

RE: Planting Peach Pits

Lots of info. about planting peach pits, you can even start them indoors. michiganpeach.org (07/01/2009)

By Fortunately

RE: Planting Peach Pits

Soak in white vinegar, undiluted for a couple of weeks, and then plant. Mimics passing through the gut of an animal which helps many hard seeds sprout. (07/01/2009)

By PIKKA