Removing Diesel Smell on Dog's Paws

How do I remove diesel smell from a dog's paws?

Jessica from Elgin

Best Answer

Yes, I would say just wash them over again and again until the smell is gone. I would also suggest that you put Vaseline or some other oil or gel on the paws in between washings to keep the pads of the feet from getting too dried out.

Good luck!

Best Answer

Use original liquid Dawn dish detergent. Mix with water, then rinse. Repeat until removed.

I place clothing items in the washer, usually with "cold" water and let it soak. Sometimes my husbands work clothes get any of the fuel, diesel, kerosene spilled on them. I prefer to soak overnight, then empty the tub and just wash normally. Seems to be working fine for me. I started doing this cause I remembered the oil spills being cleaned up with Dawn.

Just like people, a good soap scrubbing ;-)

If a dog gets into a skunk they say to use tomato juice. We were camping and only had catsup-it did the job. Might want to give it a try. Less time consuming than scrubbing, scrubbing, and scrubbing.

My husband is a commercial truck driver. He gets that horrible stuff on his clothes from time to time, and if you can smell it, you can bet the stuff is still there & going into your dog's body. Diesel is really nasty stuff. How I would get the stuff off of the dog, is get some water softener, calgon or white king d.

Calgon has a liquid. Dilute it half & half & rinse the paws in it wash as you would wash your hands or such, then rinse the paws in fresh water. Then douse the paws in a 50/50 mix of white vinegar. That should do it. I know it sounds complicated, but I would get some small tubs or something like cottage cheese tubs, and do one after the other. It wouldn't take long. The main chemical is sodium hydroxide, that gets rid of the diesel, & the vinegar gets rid of the sodium hydroxide. It balances the Ph. Sodium hydroxide, if left on the skin, will burn, but for a few seconds it takes to do this, it should b no problem. I use to make a product that has this stuff in it for reef aquariums.

I had it in the car one day. Well, I went to get gas & the stupid pump backed up. I got it all over my hands. The only thing I had was some of this stuff. So I rinsed with it & then with fresh water. I could not believe it. I HATE THE SMELL of that kind of stuff. I didn't want to get it on my steering wheel or any where else.

Dog laying in the back of an old open bed  truck
Cleaning Diesel Smell on a Dog
Pets Dogs GroomingDecember 22, 2008
work boots
Removing Diesel Fuel from Shoes and Boots
man servicing a semi truck
Cleaning Diesel Fuel on Concrete
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books