Recycling An Out-Dated Lamp

Lamps are so expensive now, so reinventing an old lamp with a new look saves a lot of money.

Personally, I think lamps are so over priced to begin with. I have taken parts from discarded lamps and made new lamps, even drilled holes in a ceramic vase to incorporate into a "new" lamp; new wire and a socket are inexpensive. I have used hanging lamp globes from yard sale finds and made them into table lamps. Use your imagination and save big time!

I had a '70s lamp with a gold globe and this is what I did.

I bought some eggshell colored wrapping paper that had a sparkle design on it. I tore the paper into small pieces and decoupaged the torn pieces to the globe. It looks really nice; kind of a lacy look from a distance. This lamp also had a small light in the base that you could turn on or not, separate from the main light. I turned on the base light and it added to the decoupage effect.

Decoupage glue can be purchased at any craft store.

It sure saved a bundle I would have spent for a new lamp where you now have to buy the shades separately now.

For those who may not know what decoupage is, here is some helpful information.

Decoupage is a paper decoration method: a technique for decorating something in which a design is made of pieces of printed paper cut out and stuck on a flat base, then coated with varnish.

A decoupage picture: a picture or other form of decoration that is made using decoupage.

Source: Encarta ® World English Dictionary ©

By Syd

That sounds like a good idea. Would love to see a picture of your lamp.

Updating an Old Lamp
Updating an Old Lamp
Crafts Recycled Crafts DecorAugust 27, 2005
Recycled Paper Envelope Finished
Making Recycling Fun
Photos of wine bottle lamps with decorations.
Making a Wine Bottle Lamp
Teapot Lamp
Making a Teapot Lamp
Old Oil Lamp
Disposing of Lamp Oil Properly