VegetablesFood Tips

Corn Boiling Tip

Category Vegetables

When boiling corn, add sugar to the water instead of salt. Salt will toughen the corn.

By Peggy

I finally convinced my husband to try corn on the cob, his favorite, in the microwave. He can't wait until the local farmer sells them. He always checks his fields so he knows when there are ready for market. We peel the corn and then just wet the casserole lid. We microwave one ear for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, depending on the size of the ear in a covered casserole dish. Let them sit for about five minutes before lifting the lid. I cook about 4 to 6 ears at a time for about 8 to 10 minutes, again according to the size ear and your microwave's wattage. Our microwave has 950 watts of power.

I also cook my corn on the cob in the microwave. First, run cold water over the ear of corn...shucks, silk and all. You may have to cut a little bit off the bottom if your microwave is small. Lay them in the microwave on the revolving dish, making sure there is clearance for them to turn. Set on high for 6 to 8 minutes for each ear. I usually do two ears at a time and set them for 15 minutes. You will need an oven mitt or potholder of some kind for the next step. Strip the husks off, carefully as they will be hot and steamy. The silk will come off easily with the husk or with a light brushing with a paper towel. Slather with butter, add a little salt and pepper and enjoy.

Harlean from Arkansas

I soak mine in water for about 10 minutes before putting them in the microwave. Other than needing the oven mitts to strip the husks, this way works wonderfully. They always turn out just right.

Susan from ThriftyFun