Removing Skunk Smell from Couch

My dog was sprayed by a skunk and rubbed all over the couch before I got her. Now I can't get that smell out. Can anyone help me?

By LouAnne from Lyndonville VT

Oy. I don't really know what will work, but I wanted to express my sympathy. I can only imagine . . .

The Mythbusters experimented with removing skunk odors. They found that beer and a douche did not work. Tomato juice might help (although you don't want that on your furniture). Commercial skunk smell remover worked, but a homemade mix of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and liquid dish soap did the best. You might want to google and find their official site to see if they give the proportions, and try it on a hidden spot before using it on the entire couch.

Best of luck. I hope you find an effective solution quickly!

There is a commercial product called "Nature's Miracle", that you wet the pet with, then let it dry and it works like Febreeze. You could test it on the back to see if it doesn't stain. Good luck; you're living a fear of mine!

Try a product called XO. You can find it at QVC.com; under Don Asletts products; he has the largest janitorial company in the USA; they use it in hospitals and nursing homes; it is biodegradeable and won't harm your pet. I have seen this used on soured milk and it took the odor away and cleaned it. Couldn't find it locally even at janitorial supply places, so I ordered it from there! or you can go to his website and do the same.

Hope this works for you! It should! Good luck!

Thank you everyone. I will try something I'm sick of the smell.

Just happened to me too.which solution worked????

I live in Canada and I too have used Nature's Miracle. Large bottle $13.95 available at pet stores. It worked wonders on the dog, she was able to sleep on our bed the same night. I did not have to use it on furniture but it says on the bottle you can. I have also heard friends use the peroxide mixture, but I have heard some say it can irritate the dog's skin. I have no idea if it works on furniture. It might be worth a try.

Worth a try. Bulk douche powder mixed with water however strong you want to clean articles.

I have no ideas! But my condolences. Hope you find something that works. Good luck and best wishes.

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureOctober 13, 2010
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
Skunk in the Grass
Removing Skunk Smell from House
A plastic basket of laundry.
Removing Skunk Odor from Clothing
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
🎄