Which Types of Rice Are Safe to Use in Microwave Heat Pads

I've made heat pads before and had no problem with them, but I do not remember what kind of rice to use. I'm concerned about fire.
I bought Carolina Jasmine enriched Thai fragrant long grain rice (Thai Hom Mali Rice) and Lundberg California white Basmati aromatic long grain rice. Does anyone know how safe these are?

Thanks.

By Marjae from NY

When I made mine several years ago, I used plain, cheap long grain rice. I've not had a problem. But I worried about fire, too. I read somewhere that, from time to time, you should put a cup of water in the microwave with the bag while heating. A little moisture from the heated water will absorb into the rice. So I do that every now and then, and it seems to work well for me. The slight moist heat is nice, too.

Boring old white rice is what is typically used.

I used Organic Flaxseed from Whole Foods. They sell it in bulk. I didn't worry about fire and I gave it to a friend that has used it repeatedly for years now!

When I make mine I just use the long grain, cheapie stuff. It will only catch fire if you heat it for too long. Small ones should not be heated over 2 minutes, large ones longer (3-4 minutes). Always test it to make sure it won't burn you.

I have had mine almost 8 years and have not had the first problem with any of them.

They also make a fabulous gift.

Gem

Mostly I've used whatever rice I had on hand. If I have to go buy some, I buy whatever is the cheapest store brand there. I've also mixed it with deer corn, dried beans, dried peas, lentils, almost anything like that is just fine. Never had a problem with any of it. Have fun with it. I just made 3 of them today!

I haven't done this for a few years, but when I did, I simply used whatever rice I had on hand. Honestly, I think I even used Minute Rice on occasion. :-) I just kept an eye on such as I was heating it in the microwave (usually less than two minutes) and it always turned out fine. As well, I was doing so super thrifty style and used clean, lone, tube socks as the casing. It's amazing how a clean, lone, tube sock filled with warm, dried rice can help a stiff neck!

I don't know about the rice, but I do know that deer corn works great. The corn has a moist heat and holds up very well, no worry about fire.

Making a Microwave Heating Rice Pad
Making Microwave Heating Pads
Crafts MiscellaneousDecember 22, 2010
Photo of a yellow rubber glove.
Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
steel wool
Preventing Brillo or SOS Pads from Rusting
🎉
🎄