Put Timer on Water Heater

Why heat your water for 24 hours? Just install a Hot water heater timer purchased from Lowes. Set the timer for 1 hour before rising in the morning, preferably during non peak hours as designated by Utility and for 1 hour in the evening prior to taking showers and baths, (after Utility peak hours). On Saturday, or laundry day, place the manual setting "on" for laundry day. As the timer cycles it will automatically go back to the timed settings. You can maintain the temperature at 120 degrees while saving money.

Source: Info received from Lows Water Heater Timer packaging years ago.

By Larry from FL

I would like to hear from people who do this and see if it really saves money. I've thought about doing it, but have been told by several people (including plumbers) that not only does it cost more because it takes longer to re-heat the water after it sits so long and gets cold, but that it isn't good for the water heater.

I don't know if any of this is true, but have been afraid to try it. Has anyone else done it that would know if it really saves money?

We have used a time on our water heater for years. We have it set for early in the morning then again in the evening. During Hurricane Gustauv when the power was out we had warm water for a shower 2 days later. And our old water heater and our new one only takes about 10 minutes to get really hot. Why don't you try turning the power off to your water heater for a day or so and see how long the hot water lasts. I bet you'll be surprised. Do it on a day when you don't have laundry to do.

When I began doing this my electric bill dropped 20.00 that first month and I've never looked back! That's a savings of $240.00 a year!

Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Better Living Green Living Conservation EnergyNovember 12, 2010
Cleaning a Water Heater
Cleaning a Water Heater
Water Heater
Troubleshooting a Water Heater
man maintaining a water heater
Saving Money on Heating Water
Using a Water Heater Timer
Using a Water Heater Timer
🎄