How can we prevent dishwasher detergent residue?

How do you get rid of scum on glasses that have been washed in the dishwasher? It has been gradually building up, and now the glasses look like they've never been washed. Regular hand washing doesn't help.

By Patty from TX

Best Answer

Put in 1/2 to 1 cup of white vinegar at the beginning of the final rinse cycle. Always works for me!

Best Answer

Use Lemi-Shine (you can get it at Wal-Mart). I will not run my dishwasher without it. It cleaned out my dishwasher, all of my glasses are shiny (for the first time in years!) and it is safe for my septic tank.

Best Answer

The troubleshooting section of my new dishwasher's manual says to try using less detergent (up to half as much) and it may stop this problem (while still getting the dishes clean) depending on the hardness of the water. Good luck.

Best Answer

Try this new product: CitriClean. It's an all-natural powder that you add to each dish washing cycle. Use less detergent and 1-2 tablespoons of CitriClean, so your cost per wash does not increase. It contains no phosphates and it works great. Search for CitriClean of Florida.

I agree that Cascade is terrible! We had the same problem and tried everything! We recently tried 1 part Borax mixed with 1 part Baking Soda, with vinegar as a rinse agent. It helped a lot! Plus it's a whole lot cheaper than that expensive dish washing detergent. It also saved us money and saved water since I now no longer have to "rewash" the dishes by hand.

There are a number of things to try. Switch detergents, try a rinse agent. Add vinegar to the rinse cycle, about a cup.

And sometimes it is the type of glasses. I had some made of Duralex years ago, and they got very cloudy. Regular glass ones did not.

The cloudiness is likely not from the detergent. It's probably caused by hard water and is either etching (which is permanent) or mineral deposits (which can be removed). There's a very informative discussion of that stuff here: .

Yes, now that Phosphates have been removed from most dish washing detergents, it makes it so much harder to get dishes clean. I live in Colorado and we have very hard water here. Even to the point that I have used bleach a few times (not recommended but it helped in a pinch) I am going to get a lot of vinegar tomorrow I already use vinegar to rinse my clothes in and that really helps with preventing static cling so now I will use it in the dishwasher too and try that.

I had build up on glasses for months, it just kept getting worse. Finally I tried LemiShine, used it on washed glasses, in the detergent holder, and it took most of the stuff off. I'll do it again to make them sparkle. I never would have known about that product if it hadn't been for the other posts.

Almost bought a new dishwasher, then read posts here about Lemi-Shine. It worked beautifully. Never even realized the dishwasher formula had changed. Glasses and dishes look brand new!

Preventing Dishwasher Detergent Residue
Preventing Dishwasher Detergent Residue
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesSeptember 28, 2010
Clumped Detergent
Softening Clumped Dishwasher Detergent
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Dishwasher Detergent
Other Uses for Dishwasher Detergent
Dishwasher Detergent Tablets
Saving Money on Dishwasher Detergent