Use Sharpie to Decorate Fabric

Do you have a child or teen's birthday coming up? How about a church youth group? Here is something we did that youth of all ages enjoy. We bought a package of colored Sharpies. They come in a set of 24 and might be a wee bit on the expensive side, but are worth it for the different shades of colors you get.

Have the young ones, and young at heart bring a t-shirt, pair of jeans, or anything else they have permission to decorate. Place a stiff piece of cardboard in between the front and back sides of the clothing. Lay out the markers on the table and let them go to it.

I have found that after they air for about an hour it helps to heat set the clothing in the dryer for about 10 to 20 minutes. Airing helps get rid of the lingering odored from the Sharpies.

By McCollonough from Nashville, TN

Great Idea! Can you tell me if they run once you wash an item? I am making an apron for my grand daughter and will use this idea to make the detailed lines if they don't run when washed. Thanks for your help!

There are "fabric painting pens" that you can use also! I have used them and they are permanent ! I got them at Walmart.

My daughter did that to a pair of her jeans when she was in high school. She used a black sharpie to draw some pictures on a good pair of jeans.After I got over the initial horror of her 'ruining' a good pair of pants, I thought it looked kind of neat. She ended up covering nearly every inch with drawings & writings. She got a lot of compliments on them too, from teens and adults! She wore them for years, those jeans fell apart before the marker wore off! It did fade of course (never ran),but never disappeared, so sometimes she'd just re-draw over her favorite stuff.

I imagine it would really look good with all the colored sharpies, maybe I'll get her back & let her twins do the same to a pair of their jeans with my huge collection of colored sharpies! LOL!

That is a great idea I usually use Fabric paint!

Autographed Jersey
Setting Permanent Marker on Clothes
Crafts Crafts For KidsFebruary 13, 2011
Sharpie Marker on Leather Couch
Cleaning Permanent (Sharpie) Marker from Leather Furniture
Removing Sharpie from Skin, Closeup of Sharpie Pen
Removing Sharpie from Skin
DIY Sharpie Mug
Making Art With Sharpies
Making Art With Sharpies