Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Charcoal to Fight Odors

Instead of buying baking soda to absorb odors in your refrigerator and freezer, try charcoal! I put a couple of pieces in each. After about five weeks, I replace with new ones, using the old ones for grilling.

I just ADORE getting two completely frugal uses out of one thing, don't you?

By AlaskanAurora from Dutch Harbor, AK

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Voicemaestro07/23/2013

Wouldn't crushing the charcoal briquettes first increase their surface area, thereby speeding up the odor absorption process?

By Lelia Jo Cordell [49]09/30/2010

Great thinking! Cheap and reusable? Thumbs up for you!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Charcoal to Fight Odors

To keep your home free of odors and musty smells place an empty can or bag of regular grilling charcoal in the closets, rooms and basements straight out of the bag. The charcoal will last forever if one bakes it then you can reuse it. But with it so cheap, I discard it and start with fresh each year. I never thought I'd like it in the oven after absorbing odors for a year. Fresh uncooked coffee also works but charcoal is best. The coffee gives a nice smell but it doesn't last as long as charcoal.

By MaryBelle

Editor's Note: Make sure you use the regular charcoal, not the self-starting kind which contains lighter fluid. Also, put the charcoal in a can or plastic container, leaving the top open.

RE: Charcoal to Fight Odors

Charcoal works here. The cheapest charcoal thingies are placed in a recycled coffee can with its top and bottom pierced with an awl in a pattern then set sideways, so both ends are open to the air, in any smelly area, even closets. Charcoal also helps absorb moisture in closets so your clothes don't smell mildewy.

Here, to quickly remove strong cooking odors, cinnamon is sprinkled onto whatever is smelly. This works especially well in the oven, microwave or other, to eradicate leftover scents.

Another great trick is to fill a small pot withwater then fill it with fruit rinds, powdered spices for baking or Peppermint (any Extract). Set the temp on very low. Remind yourself to refill the pot as the water evaporates (06/07/2006)

By gator10tx

RE: Charcoal to Fight Odors

I have used the charcoal and if putting in basement area, you can put in old pair of panty hose and hang up. It will remove odors with time. If the smell is continuous from somethingm then it will not work. You can place a piece in an old sock and place in shoes also.

By Marilyn

RE: Charcoal to Fight Odors

I had odors from mice in the oven. After I cleaned the oven thoroughly, I turned it on to about 400 degrees and got it hot. Then, after turning it off I placed a pan full of charcoal in the oven. After 2 times of doing this, the mouse odor was gone. (12/11/2006)

By Powakee

RE: Charcoal to Fight Odors

An attractive way to use charcoal as an odor reducer around the house is to put it inside of small baskets. This looks nicer, while also allowing more air to flow around the charcoal, thus increasing its effectiveness. (06/04/2007)

By japangirl

RE: Charcoal to Fight Odors

Using charcoal is scientifically proven to fight odors. One note one must be aware of is that this only works with activated charcoal. (09/09/2008)

RE: Charcoal to Fight Odors

The best product which is an activated charcoal (carbon) odor absorber is called Fridge IT odor absorbers. Been using it for years for fridge and many other smelly places around the house like under my sinks and trash. (10/21/2008)

By kengie

Archive: Charcoal to Fight Odors

My tip concerns removing odors from objects, furniture, etc. If you can put it in a plastic bag or cover it with sheet plastic to seal, then just buy however many bags of charcoal briquettes and cover the object with them. Seal it closed and let set for a few days or even a couple of weeks. You may have to do this more than once but I doubt it.

If the surface is finished you can lay the charcoal on paper towels and it will still work. I once had a new freezer full of meat, vegetables and other items that accidentally had the power turned off to it and everything inside rotted. The stench was terrible. After all cleaning methods failed, we lined the shelves inside with charcoal briquettes, closed it up for two weeks and all the odor was gone. The freezer was like new again.

By Kacee from Clinton, IN

Editor's Note: Be sure to use only regular charcoal, not the self lighting kind that is treated with lighter fluid.

RE: Charcoal to Fight Odors

Boy, I wish we'd thought of this several years ago when our $200 chest freezer accidentally got unplugged and the meat rotted! (06/14/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.