How Can I Stop My Dog From Chewing On Blankets?

I have a Dachshund that chews holes in all the blankets he can get his teeth into! Nothing else, just blankets. Is there anything I can spray on my blankets or any other ideas to prevent his blanket chewing? All my blankets are full of little holes!

By Sue from VA

My dog does the same thing, and only when we're not home (the last remaining sign of separation anxiety). We have baskets under the TV where we put all our lap blankets when we're not using them and I shut all the bedroom doors when we leave so he can't get to the bedding (so technically I'm avoiding the problem).

The trainer at PetSmart recommended trying some of the bitter apple sprays (she said we may have to try a couple different brands before we found one that worked for our dog. You'd want to test them somewhere hidden first in case it does something to the fabric.

Your little furball sounds like my little Daisy that we lost a few years back, she was such a darling and she was a Dachshund also and she did the same thing to one of our blankets and other things. Bless her heart, we still have the blanket that she chewed tiny holes all in it. lol. Believe it or not it is the warmest blanket in the house ,even with the tiny holes in it. Just thought that I would share this with you.

I wish I could tell you I have an answer for this problem, except to keep your sense of humor. When I was 10 I had a beautiful blue and white mohair scarf I had recieved for Christmas. While showing it off to my neighbor, it was eaten by her dachshund Peter Von Wartenburg. I really missed my scarf and was truly worried about my buddy Peter. For Peter "everything worked out allright". I was out a great scarf, but dog kisses made up for it quickly. I still watch my clothes around dachshunds.

Goodness. I thought I was the only one with this problem. I buy blankets, give old blankets to my 3 dogs outside and they tear everyone of them up. I put some old quilts out there there a few months ago and when I went back out about 30 minutes later they had torn all of the white stuff out of them and it looked like it had snowed in the back yard. A lot of times they will drag then out of their 20x10 kennel and run and play tug a war with them. I am still picking up white stuff everyday.

My dachshund does this all the time. My vet told me she thinks they do it to sooth themselves sorta like a kid sucking his thumb. I don't even try to stop it. It's his blanket and I would not take it from him. Neither do I worry about it.

A dog in a crate
Dealing With a Dog That Chews
Pets Dogs AdviceMarch 16, 2011
fleece tie blanket
Making Fleece Tie Blankets
Squirrel Chewing
Squirrels Chewing on Car Wiring
A couch chewed on by a dog.
Keeping Dogs from Chewing on Furniture
unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
Uses for Chewing Gum