Sewing on Scout Badges

If you have patches to sew on for your kids' Scout uniforms, school uniforms, etc., use your basic stapler to hold the patches in place while you sew them on. I staple in two places, just so they don't twist on me, and use the zipper foot attachment on my sewing machine to run around the inside of the patches. This saves so much time and aggravation. No more pins breaking and stabbing me in the fingers!

If you have multiple patches with different colored backgrounds, you can use the transparent (clear) thread with the bobbin being the color of the shirt (or whatever). Keeps you from having to swap out top threads every patch, and the regular thread underneath keeps the monofilament thread from poking into the skin.

By MooseMom from Elk Grove, CA

Another idea: when I was sewing all those badges on the Boy Scout shirt, I'd use regular tape or masking tape that you make into a sticky two-sided circle and literally tape it in place before I sewed it on.

I never thought of stapling which is a great idea! Thank you. :)

When I was in the Air Force and would get promoted, or bought new uniforms and needed to sew on the rank patches I used to use Elmer's Glue o paste them in place before sewing. I could then reposition as needed and let it dry overnight. Then in the morning I could stitch them on without them moving around. Nowadays they have "liquid stitch" that comes in a tube or small bottle that does the same thing. After sewing both the "liquid stitch" (many different brands) and the Elmer's Glue wash out with just a few washings and don't damage the clothes at all.

To this day I still use this method whenever I need to sew something onto something else.

Wish my mom and I had thought of this years ago, she for my brother's Scout patches, I for my 1st husband's rank patches.