Use Alternatives to Push Pins

This has to do with push pins, thumb tacks, children, and pets. Unfortunately children and pets don't understand the dangers of these items. Most everything a child or animal finds ends up in their mouths, many times with hazardous or deadly results.

An easy way to avoid this is to not allow them in your home! I have a medium size bulletin board on the wall. On it I have glued a bunch of wooden clothes pins. Whenever I need to post something on the bulletin board, I simply clip it there instead of using pins.

Now I never have to worry about a pin falling off and getting into my pets mouths. Or heaven forbid, into a child's mouth when my grandkids come to visit. This is such an easy and inexpensive preventative to a potentially deadly event. Recently on the news was a story of a baby who died from ingesting a push pin. Please, everyone, even if you don't use my suggestion, PLEASE come up with something so that you don't have to have these deadly items in your home!

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Super idea! Thanks for sharing!

This is a wonderful idea! I might add that push pins are not only a danger to children and pets. They can be a hazard to adults as well when stepped on, especially those who are diabetic. Diabetics don't have the same feelings in their feet as normal people and may not even know they have stepped on one until it gets infected. My husband stepped on a tack and bled all over the kitchen floor without even realizing he had a tack in his foot! It was a nightmare! I got rid of my bulltetin board altogether and instead I found some metallic tissue paper I liked and some matching wide satin ribbon. Then I used some washable school glue to attach the paper to the back and front of my bedroom door and added the ribbon to create a trim around it. The washable glue makes it easy to remove and clean since I am renting my home, but it holds very well. I use scotch tape to secure notes, bills, and other items to my "board". You could also use some waxed paper, aluminum foil, or worn out sheet protectors to get the same effect. The notes remove easily from these surfaces and the glue won't damage the paint finish!

Good advice.

Push Pins
Alternatives to Push Pins
Parenting Baby SafetyApril 8, 2010
push pins on a bulletin board
Substitutes for Push Pins
Making Button Bulletin Board Pins
Making Button Bulletin Board Pins
Colorful Push Pins
Decorating with Push Pins
Child's hand picking an English daisy in the lawn.
Alternatives to Having a Lawn