Updating Master Bedroom with Built In Cabinet

The new house we just purchased has a built in entertainment/storage unit in the master bedroom. Any suggestions for what to do about it? We aren't sure if we'd like to keep it or not, but we don't know how to remove it either.

By Lacey from Fort Smith, AR

I kind of like it. Would be cute with knick knats, family photos, small collectibles, small bottles with colored water for contrast, or maybe display jewelry, install some small cup hooks for necklaces or bracelets. Keep in mind if you take it down it's hard to tell the damage to wall and would you have to redo the whole wall. Good luck!

You might change the spacing on the shelves and buy new handles for the doors. Or, put in some glass doors. A cabinet maker might be able to assist you with a few modifications. Perhaps you could go to a furniture store and look at some large entertainment centers or china cabinets and get some idea of what you would like your cabinet to look like. I would keep it for sure!

I would give anything to have storage like that in my bedroom. You could also purchase matching baskets to put on the shelves for extra storage. I don't think my landlord would appreciate it if I built in something like that.

The cabinet would be fastened to the studs in the wall with long screws. You would have to hunt to find where the screws are. The only damage to the wall would be rhe screw holes and maybe a different color behind the cabinet. Should not be a big deal to remove.

I love it! If there was still room in the bedroom for everything else you wanted, I would keep it and paint it to match my color scheme. I would use it for a bookcase or DVDs. I love watching TV or reading in bed, and I'd be happy if I bought a house with that kind of storage. I don't have enough places for my stuff!

You're so Blessed to have it! Great place to store blankets and sheets in the cabinet and I agree with all the other ideas about what to place on the counter and shelves! I also liked the idea of 'updating' with paint and new door handles! Please share a future picture with us ;-)

I would keep it, for sweater storage, books, even a tv if you want one in the bedroom. If I opted to store clothes etc. on some of the shelves, it might be best to add doors to the shelf areas to keep dust and dirt off the clothes.

Home and Garden Home Improvement RemodelingNovember 8, 2009
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Built-in Book Shelf
Repainting a Built-in Shelf
Ninja Master Prep
Using a Ninja Master Prep
Ninja Prep Master Pro
Recipes for the Ninja Prep Master Pro
🎄
🍂