Removing Carpet Dents

I have a commercial type carpet in my upstairs apartment which I rent out. The person left at the end of the month and I now see marks in the carpet caused by an elliptical machine. Can anyone tell me how to get these out or fade them out?

Thank you.

By Carolyn from Port Chester, NY

Best Answer

There are special 'carpet rakes' to help with that but a heavy duty plastic bristle hairbrush will work too and costs a lot less money. You'll need to gently rough up the dented portion of the carpet, vacuum, and repeat. Eventually the worst of the dent will come up. I've used this technique before and it worked well for me. Hope it works for you.

Best Answer

Take a washcloth or towel and place it over the dent. Using an iron on the steam setting, passover the dented area. While it's still warm and moist, rake it with a comb or brush. Do this several times. The fibers are crimped and folded down, so they need to be "lifted".

If it's a synthetic fiber, hold a hair dryer set on Medium in one hand and rub the nap with the other. Just be careful that you don't get too close or it gets too hot.

There are lots of suggestions to try in the ThriftyFun Archives below these comments. :-)

Furniture Dents from Carpet
Removing Furniture Dents from Carpet
Home and Garden Home Improvement CarpetAugust 10, 2010
Repairing Dents in Lampshades
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
shoe polish
Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet