Fourth of July Safety for Pets

Water your yard to prevent fire works from setting fire to the grass and perhaps the car or the house. Keep the pets inside. It's the worst day of the year for pets. Dogs run off more often on the Fourth of July than any other day.

By Ardis

Write on Their Collar

If you don't want to buy dog tags, use a collar you can write on. Black or very dark colored collars won't work. I write my phone number on our dog's nylon collar using a permanent magic marker. Check it occasionally, sometimes you may have to write over the phone number since it may wear off. I have been doing this with all our pets. Fortunately we have never lost a pet. Also, if we have visitors who bring their dogs, we use tape with our phone number on it, just in case.

By mkymlp

Mask The Noise

My dog is afraid of loud noises and we leave the fans turned on to take some of the noise away. I found if I turned the TV sound up, that helped dull the sound of all those bangs and helped my dog be much calmer. Thank heaven for that!

By Sara

Keep the Car Running

The funny thing is; Ally is afraid of loud noises also. We can always hear the fireworks at our house. This year, I took her up the street to the fireworks and we sat in the car with the engine and air conditioner running. I also had the radio on. I couldn't hear the booms at all. She just sat on the seat. I think she was bored, but the noise level was better than had we been home. I knew I shouldn't take her but her seatbelt was on, etc. so I knew I had her cornered. Besides, if she had been afraid, her mom (me) would have taken her home.

By sandy

Editor's Note: I lost a dog years ago on the 4th one year and was never able to find her.

Make sure your pet has a tag with his/her name on it and your phone number. You can make your own at PetSmart or Petco for about $6. I've found pets and have been able to return them to their home quickly if they have a tag.

We also noticed this year that a couple fans running on high helped calm our dog and masked the sound of the fireworks. She was less anxious than she was last Fourth of July.

Your best bet on the 4th is to crate your pet in a bedroom, or down in a basement. Close doors, have several doors between your pet and freedom. Lock your pet in a bathroom that doesn't have windows. Run noise in the house, such as a fan, tv, or loud music. Dope your dog (with meds from the vet) if your dog gets too upset. Don't take your dog to fireworks under any circumstances.

Dog with an American flag.
Keeping Pets Safe on the 4th of July
Holidays and Parties Fourth of July SafetyJune 29, 2007
Red, White, and Blue Jello Parfait
Red, White, and Blue Jello Parfait
Fireworks on the Fourth of July
4th Of July Safety Tips
Patriotic garden ball
Fourth Of July Crafts
Fourth of July Doughnuts
Fourth of July Recipes