Newspaper Kitty Litter Alternative

We have 3 indoor cats. Unfortunately we have to really pinch our pennies or go without until payday. But when I realized that someone forgot to buy litter, after I had already dumped the cat box, I had an idea. I put our old newspapers to use.

<p> I opened up the pages all the way and started tearing them straight down into strips. Then I tore the strips in half. We use a plastic storage container or tub for our cat box because it helps to keep the litter from going all over the floor.

Anyway, after I had it cleaned and dried, I put the shredded newspaper in. I was just hoping the cats would go on it. But not only did they have no problems whatsoever, guess what? There was very litter odor! I was so amazed to find that it was very odor absorbent and best of all it was free! Since I am very frugal, I bought the new kitty litter but used 1/4 of the bag rather than the entire bag which I normally have. It's working! I believe it eliminates odor better than the old way. Try it. It's cheaper and fresher.

By Lauren from Topeka, KS

Could we use shredded paper?

what a great idea! I have 2 indoor cats and i'm going to try this...i wonder if the ink from the newspaper gets on their paws when it's wet..guess i could put down a towel next to where they step out...thanks for sharing this tip.

I HAVE BEEN USING SHREDDED UP NEWSPAPER FOR ABOUT 15 YEARS. IT STARTED W/ BEING A SINGLE MOM TO SAVE MONEY. WE HAVE 8 CATS IN OUR HOUSE RIGHT NOW (2 ARE MY SON'S UNTIL HE MOVES OUT) THEY ARE ALL RESCUE. WE HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH NEWSPAPER AND WHEN WE HAVE HAD NEW ADDITIONS I HAVE TO EMPTY 4 CAT LITTER BOXES TWICE A DAY UNTIL THEY GET USED TO THE NEW ONES. UNTIL A CAT IS SPAYED OR NEUTERED YOUHAVE TO CHANGE TWICE A DAY.I HAVE A SPRAY BOTTLE OF DILUTED BLEACH & WATER THAT GETS SPRAYED INTO THE BOX WHEN I AM CLEANING IT, THEN RINSE AND WIPE. THE BEST NEWSPAPER IS BLACK & WHITE. THE SLIPPERY SHINEY SUNDAY INSERTS ARE NOT THAT GREAT FOR ABSORBING. I ALSO SOMEHOW DON'T TRUST THAT COLORED INK WHEN IT HAS URINE ON IT. I USED TO WORK IN A FEW PET SHOPS AND I ALWAYS TRIED TO TELL PEOPLE TO USE NEWSPAPER...YOU CAN ALWAYS UPGRADE ON THE QUALITY OF THE FOOD.

Pets CatsJanuary 14, 2009
Kitty Litter Substitute
Kitty Litter Substitutes
Black cat in a litter box.
Kitty Litter Tips and Tricks
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat Litter
Alternative Uses for Cat Litter
🎄
🍂