Are Allergies Hereditary in Dogs?

My blue brindle American Staffordshire Terrier has allergies and he is a stud dog. i wanted to know if there was a high percentage that he would pass his allergies on to his offspring.

Alaina from Lynchburg, VA

It's my understanding that allergies can happen to any human/pet at any time of their life. Think hard about what is in your air, on your floors, in your carpets, on your person (including Pam in the kitchen, or gas residue in the air from cooking), AND including any/all pesticides. Then, read the labels on all that goes into his mouth. He could have an allergy or food sensitivity if none of the above is the problem. I'd try feeding him tuna, egg, canned corn/peas, and cooked meats before giving him canned dog foods, regardless. His expression seems to be, "Help me, I'm not feeling too good!"

Also, consider the likelihood that he might be coming into contact with yard chemicals or mosquito repellents/hair sprays. He has no one but you to detect what the allergies could be from. If after diligent searching, and trying all you can, not settling just for some medicine to help him, but really looking for what it could be. (That rug he's on

could be emitting a strong "dye" smell, or you may be a wonderful housekeeper and not realize that something as simple as Windex or ammonia, could be making him sneeze. His body looks healthy, so it's obviously something he's breathing/eating that you should be able to uncover?

Good luck and God bless and help you and your sweet dog. : )

oh he is handsome.

I have an american bulldog with really bad allergies. My vet is an allergist and he said not to breed my dog because it is very possible the puppies will have the same problem.

My boy is allergic to corn and wheat. Try changing him to something like Nutro Naturals lamb and rice. It has been a lifesaver for us. Corn and wheat seem the be what causes so many allergies in dogs.

Hope this helps!

IMHO all pure breed dogs are more susceptible to allergies than plain ole mutts. We had a pure bred Golden Retriever who had terrible allergies.

Predisposition to allergies is an inherited trait in humans. I'm thinking it may be inherited in animals as well.

Pets Dogs HealthJune 22, 2007
Older woman at an eye appointment.
Treating Glaucoma
Dog standing by food dish.
Does My Dog Have Food Allergies?
Dog With Allergies
Treating Dogs With Seasonal Allergies
Dog With Food Allergies
Feeding a Dog With Food Allergies