Can I grow Angel Trumpet Plants from Seed?

Is it possible to grow an angel trumpet plant from seeds? Someone gave me some seeds from a double lavender angel trumpet, and I have planted seeds at a couple of different times, but nothing ever came up. I really would like to be able to grow angel trumpets (Brugsmansia), but have no plant to get cuttings from. Any suggestions?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By one.of.a.kind from Locust Fork, AL

Zone 7b is too cold for them They need at least zone 9.

They grow all over my neighborhood; is it just too cold to start them from seed?

I bought a tiny plant on line last fall on sale. I planted it in a pot to keep indoors during the winter months. Now I replanted it in a bigger pot to keep outdoors. I think this is a better solution to seeds cause you already get a plant to start with. It does cost a little more to order but I got the plant that I wanted.

Keep in mind that this is a poisonous plant. Are you sure you want it in your garden? This is a reference from Wikipedia - "Toxicity - All parts of Brugmansia plants contain dangerous levels of poison and may be fatal if ingested by humans or animals, including livestock and pets. Contact with the eyes can cause pupil diliation (mydriasis) or unequal pupil size (anisocoria). Some municipalities prohibit the purchase, sale, or cultivation of Brugmansia plants.

I have tried to grow Brugmansia from seed with no luck. But I got a cutting from a plant swap. And it is just starting to take off nicely. Datura is related to Brigmansia but the brugmansia flowers hang down, while the datura flowers stand up more. The seeds are also different.

I have had luck with the Datura seeds. There smaller than Brug seeds and start well on heat. I put mine in soil and put on top of the furnace. It takes about two to three weeks of heat before they come up. I have to water them in between. Then eventually after the root has started off well I move them to a lighted area.

Keep in mind that these plants are poison, so consider that before you decide on growing them. I have never had a pet bother them. I read an article about a Brug that went in the compost pile in Alaska. It had the dead flowers on it that went to seed. And the next summer the seeds came up in the compost pile. Oh if I could only be so lucky!

Join a seed swap. Yahoo has a good one called Yahoo Plant Swap. Have fun. Windgate.

Datura Angel Trumpet
Growing Angel Trumpet
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsApril 3, 2011
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
Trumpet Vine Seed Pods
Starting a Trumpet Vine From Seed Pods
growing snap dragons from seed
Growing Flowers from Seed
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves