Birds & Bird HousesGardening

Bird Feed Mix With Seeds, Nuts And Fruit?

I have 3 bird feeders in my garden, the birds go through the seed very quickly. Does anyone have a mix of seed that they make from bulk seeds and nut and dried fruit. We get woodpeckers, finches, songbirds, blue jays and cardinals

Steven from Ontario, Canada

Hi! This isnt so much a bulk mix, however I started making a feeder using grapevine wreaths. I make up a combo of peanut butter, melted shortening, ultra fine corn starch, and water. Mix this into a paste. Will stick to wreath, then apply black oil seeds and safflower seeds, so the seeds adhere to the paste. I hang mine from trees and get lots of peckers, goldfinches and nuthatches. Also the safflower wont attract the blackbirds, and squirrels.

I dont make a birdfeed mix, but I understand it is cheaper if you buy it at a feed or grain store. They sell it in very large bags there. Maybe you can buy it in bulk to save money.

Birds will eat any nuts or dried fruits--raisins are usually the cheapest. Put out fresh fruits too, like apples and oranges (cut in half), and bananas.

Hey Steve,

My parents and I live in North Eastern Ontario (yes, in the bush). To spoil the birds, my mum feeds them: stale bread with past date peanut butter smeared on, chopped up skin and fat from the pork picnic shoulder, chicken skin, any fat trimmings, apple cores chopped up. You could even get the rejected or reduced stuff some a fruit and veg market.

If there are scrambed eggs left over, they get those too, as well as any wet cat food that the cat turns her nose up at that turned hard and dry.

I also put out hair and yarn snippings for their nest building, and they help themselves to birch bark from the woodpile.

Enjoy!

We found out that a large bag of Safflower seeds purchased from the Co-Op or Agrifeed is really yummy to the cardinals and other song birds. The best thing about the Safflower seeds is that the Bluejays,crows,starlings and other nuisance birds don't like them. Neither do the squirrels. So the seed lasts longer.

Also, you can purchase inexpensive raisins,dried cranberries,peanuts and such to add to the seed.

The song birds really like the fruit.