Paint Color Ideas

I have a medium-light tan couch with almost the same color tan carpeting, a black entertainment unit, cherry bookshelf, black, cherry, and dark brown picture frames, a chrome lamp, and white walls. I need help redecorating.

I want to do an accent wall but have no clue as to what color. I am thinking about new pillows (currently I have black and a burgundy red). Everything is "so neutral" and I feel like I need color. Help please.

By kwright22 from Dundee, IL

That sounds a lot like my living room. My husband and I just moved back in after we had renters that destroyed a lot of the hose and decided it was time for a change. I have three walls that are a chocolate brown and one red accent wall. It looks great in the room and it feels extra cozy now!

You could try some color boards of a sage green, medium strength. A color board should be painted on a piece about 4x4 feet, and taped up where you want it, just to help give you better idea than holding the color chip up. You could also consider picking only one color for the wood items, and painting everything the same. Maybe painting all black, or all the cherry color.

Then you could paint a metallic chrome colored paint around all the faces of the would products---to coordinate with the lamp. It sounds very nice, but I do agree that it needs a little boost. Whatever color you choose for the accent wall, you could repeat in pillows for the couch, and a rug under the coffee table, or if you don't have one, in front of the tv/entertainment center.

I would definately go with a green. If you want the room to stay neutral, sage or celadon, if you want to stay with a darker room, use kelly green, but if you want perky, get a brighter, lighter green, like green apples. With your cherry red bookcase, you can get or make accent pillows that have bright red flowers & green leaves, or go with a cherry or apple pattern that includes leaves. Or you could get pillows that have stripes in red, green and tan. You don't want to make it look Christmassy, but the right green & accents could give you a 'nature' look. Di

I would go with a bright yellow in accessories for the spring and summer seasons. You could use toss pillows or tie wide yellow ribbon (package style) around ones you already have, yellow vases or figures, cover a coffee table book in a yellow cover, hang an inexpensive picture with a lot of yellow in it, put a yellow scarf on a lamp table etc. Change to fall colors when the seasons change to that time. Go to a Dollar shop and look for inexpensive items in yellow.

April 30, 2009 Flag

Paint Color Ideas

We just purchased our first new home and I am stumped on choosing paint colors for the walls. I want to do a dark cranberry in the kitchen but I am not sure on the living room and the hall. I am getting new furniture which is chocolate brown with dark end tables.

The wall that you see through the arch way will have to match the living room I think or at least be a shade lighter. Any help would be appreciated. thanks. I was thinking of Sherwin Williams 6020 Marooned for the Kitchen, 7525 for the living room and 7254 for the hallway. I am also wondering where I should stop painting the kitchen, over top of the closet or at the corner before.

By blue_eyed_lady from Moncton, New Brunswick

Answers:

Paint Color Ideas

Did you try going to the website for Sherwin Williams? I like the Better Homes and Garden website and the Home and Garden TV website. I recently moved into an apartment and haven't painted yet either but have decided on my colors.
Good luck! (04/10/2009)

By gypsykate

Paint Color Ideas

I would go with almost a caramel color in the kitchen, stopping at the corner of the closet and a green in the living room. Look for a green color called 'thistle', it's really nice. (04/13/2009)

By PICO

Paint Color Ideas

Remember the lighter the color is that you use the larger the room will appear. That is why all new homes are painted white to make the rooms look larger than they actually are. I too would go with a very, very light muted caramel color in the living room (to go with your furniture) then paint a very, very light muted cranberry color in the kitchen, stopping at the corner of the closet. You are only looking for a hint of color here, not a color that is heavy that will make the two rooms appear smaller. Keep us all up to date on what you decide and congratulations on your first home! (04/14/2009)

By Paula Jo Carr

April 9, 2009 Flag

Our 100 year old B&B has a massive island kitchen with dark green bead board cabinets, a center island and glass upper doors with stained glass accents. I stripped all the nasty old wallpaper and am looking for paint ideas. Should I paint the cabinets? What color should I paint the walls? Our budget is limited and the Inn is for sale, so I need something that will appeal to the broadest range of buyers, residential or business. Thanks!

By wendydk from Bellaire, MI

Paint Color Ideas

Answers:

Paint Color Ideas

Since you are trying to sell the inn, you will appeal to the most people if you go neutral. Not everyone will like green cabinets, but white would appeal to almost all.

As for painting the walls, whether you paint them blue, yellow or whatever, some people might like the color, but lots of people won't. The best color to paint when you are selling is beige. It is a neutral color and even if the buyer plans to paint the room a different color, they will feel that they can live with beige for a while, whereas they might not be able to live with yellow or green, etc.

My husband and I have fixed up and sold 3 houses in the past few years. We always paint all of the walls beige. The houses all sold fast, we sold one just 3 months ago, even with the bad economy situation. The best advice is go neutral. (04/07/2009)

By Amuck

Paint Color Ideas

I would leave the cabinets the color they are. That color is perfect for the period of the house. I would pick a warm, creamy, buttery beige or a very pale version of the yellow in the glass cabinet inserts for the walls. To help you with your budget you should buy your paint (and anything else you may need) at Restore. These are run by Habitat for Humanity. They have paint, furniture, fixtures, hardware, carpet, tile, etc. left over from home improvement projects or remodels. I bought five cans of paint for my apartment for $25! I decided not to use one can, so I gave it back to Restore. But $6.25 a can is cheaper than any store and all the money goes to a good cause. I'm not sure where Bellaire is, but here is a list of Michigan Restore locations:

http://www.habitat.org/cd/env/restore_detail.aspx?place=59 (04/07/2009)

By thriftyboo

Paint Color Ideas

See, I wouldn't do white. I would do black or silver knobs and then something that picks up the color in the counter tops. I would also put a focal point in between those cabinets, and then all the appliances need to be changed to Black or Stainless. You can find used appliance stores in the yellow pages or craigslist. I say black because of the stain glass in the doors. (04/07/2009)

By jnaos

April 7, 2009 Flag

What color should I paint my kitchen cabinets that will go with white appliances and wood floors? I tried a cottage white and it made the appliances look blue! I also need advice on a new wall color. The red is just too dark! Thanks in advance!

March 23, 2009 Flag

I just painted my living room Tiffany blue and brown and I want to paint the kitchen a sage moss green color. The bathroom is off the kitchen. What color can I match with the sage green and the blue?

February 10, 2009 Flag

Any ideas for wall color? I have an originally built 1950's bathroom, gray tile with burgundy tile trim both on the vanity and wall. The house is traditional in style.

November 1, 2007 Flag

My wife and I have been dwelling on our kitchen paint color for 4 months. We have 10 different sample paints on the wall. we have stainless steel appliances, dark cherry cabinets and cherry hardwood floors.

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingApril 30, 2009
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick
Old Paint Can
Disposing of Old Paint
🎉
🎄