Why are My Cucumbers Yellow and Bitter?

My cucumbers do not turn green; they are yellow and bitter. This is the second year this has happened, the fruit is large, the plants have many flowers, and are producing, but this yellow cucumber is all we get.

What can I do to correct this, or do I just give up?
Thank you.

By Jeanne from Warner Robins, GA

Cucumbers are not meant to get large. Allowing them to get too big makes them yellow and bitter. All cucumbers start out green from the time the blossom drops off the immature fruit. For the best flavor, you should pick them when they are 4 to 5 inches long and still green.

I've had yellow cucumbers, they were called "lemon cucumbers." They were round and anywhere from light to bright yellow. If you do a google search, you'll find information.

I agree that cucumbers are best when they're younger. They'll have fewer seeds that way, too. What variety are you planting? Look at your seed packet (or the tag, if you purchased plants). Are they getting enough strong sun? The only yellow cucumbers I've had were the ones that were supposed to be yellow.

If you don't get a good answer here, check out (lots of good information!):

http://davesgarden.com/

Leaving them on the vine - over ripens - they turn from green to yellow and do not taste good

Check out cucumber info from Organic Gardening at http://www.orga  -16-1576,00.html

It indicates that you need very even water supply and shade since you are in a hot zone. They suggest you give 50% shade to prevent bitter cucumbers in your type of area. Wish you all the best. We love cucumbers too.

This happened to me when I planted squash plants near my cucumbers. They cross-pollinated and the results were off-color and not tasty.

Squash cannot cross pollinate with cucumbers. Different species. Squash and other squash, yes, they can cross pollinate.

same exact thing happened to me

this happened to me when I planted my squash next to my cucumbers...turned yellow...they can cross pollinate