Why are My Cucumbers Yellow and Bitter?

My cucumbers do not turn green; they are yellow and bitter. This is the second year this has happened, the fruit is large, the plants have many flowers, and are producing, but this yellow cucumber is all we get.

What can I do to correct this, or do I just give up?
Thank you.

By Jeanne from Warner Robins, GA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Cucumbers are not meant to get large. Allowing them to get too big makes them yellow and bitter. All cucumbers start out green from the time the blossom drops off the immature fruit. For the best flavor, you should pick them when they are 4 to 5 inches long and still green.

I've had yellow cucumbers, they were called "lemon cucumbers." They were round and anywhere from light to bright yellow. If you do a google search, you'll find information.

I agree that cucumbers are best when they're younger. They'll have fewer seeds that way, too. What variety are you planting? Look at your seed packet (or the tag, if you purchased plants). Are they getting enough strong sun? The only yellow cucumbers I've had were the ones that were supposed to be yellow.

If you don't get a good answer here, check out (lots of good information!):

http://davesgarden.com/

Check out cucumber info from Organic Gardening at http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s1-5-16-1576,00.html

It indicates that you need very even water supply and shade since you are in a hot zone. They suggest you give 50% shade to prevent bitter cucumbers in your type of area. Wish you all the best. We love cucumbers too.

This happened to me when I planted squash plants near my cucumbers. They cross-pollinated and the results were off-color and not tasty.

Answer

Cucumbers growing.
Why Are My Cucumbers Bitter?
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingJune 3, 2010
red spray bottle
Homemade Bitter Apple Spray
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Cucumbers on ice.
Freezing Cucumbers
Cucumber Blooms
Cucumbers Turning Yellow
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 29, 2016 at 1:26:53 AM on 10.0.1.54 in 722 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.