Making Keepsakes for Bridesmaids - Categories:

BridesmaidWeddings

Making Keepsakes for Bridesmaids

I have two slightly-stained white-satin wedding dresses that I purchased at yard sales. Both dresses are full-skirted and have attached net slips and train. I also have the veil for one dress.

My daughter is getting married in June and I would like to make keepsakes for her bridesmaids from some of this material, perhaps incorporating some of the beading, pearls, and lace trim.

I need ideas and patterns. Thank you. - Belinda

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Maybe you could make them drawer sachets with potpourri inside or cosmetic bags out of the material. Another really cute idea would be to use the fabric and beads to cover a wooden photo frame and insert a photo of the bride with each bridesmaid.

You could make them pillows to place on their beds or make them purses to be died the color of their bridesmaids dresses.

I am not sure if you have seen those dolls that people would make from vintage pillow cases, but you could replicate the idea and make a sort of "pillow case" from the dress materials and make a doll for each of the bridesmaids.

Another idea is to save some scraps and make a toothfairy pillow (or several) for your daughter for when she has children. At the birth of each child you could give them each a toothfairy pillow. It is a simple little pillow with a pocket sewn onto the front of one side. Lace around the edges and a satin ribbon sewn into it for a hanger and you hang it on their doorknob or on their bedpost or knob on a bedstand drawer, etc. The child puts their lost tooth in the pocket and the "toothfairy" replaces it with money or a treat. You could sew them all now, and they will store easily until you are ready to fill them with stuffing at each birth.

If you type wedding crafts then click on search you will find a lot of ideas. Even a lot of frugal ideas. Good Luck. Mom of 6, Sheila.

Why not make a pouch by using a running stitch and placing a drawstring in it and tie bows of different colors from the wedding theme. This way they have a real satin purse to carry on special occasions and white never goes out of style.

If you'd like you can add a clear outside pocket and put a picture of them in their wedding attire in it.

Best wishes,

Glenda

Weddings BridesmaidDecember 31, 2004
A woman wearing a homemade bridesmaid dress.
Making Homemade Bridesmaids Dresses
Homemade Trinket Boxes
Homemade Trinket Boxes
Organized Photos in Box
Organizing Keepsakes and Memorabilia
Children's Handprint Crafts
Children's Handprint Crafts
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 18, 2016 at 5:21:04 PM on 10.0.1.204 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.