Hiding a Bright Paint Color

I have a guest room that is painted a burnt orange on top, and is pine wainscoting from hip level down. I have a friend who is coming to visit, that ABSOLUTELY hates orange anything! I'm not repainting it, and don't want to line the walls with paper to cover the orange. Any ideas what I can do, other than hand her a pair of sunglasses to wear in the room? LOL

Ann

Ann, how about a paint treatment to go over the orange paint? Sponge painting is a quick way to cover paint and tone it down a bit. I have also done rag rolling and that covers the base color with a top coat that minimizes a bright paint color; unfortunately, it is a lot more time consuming than sponge painting. I have a friend that painted over a base coat by dipping a feather duster into a light paint color and dabbed it over the bright paint color; it gave a very modern look to the room. These ideas won't get rid of the bright orange paint, but it will help to tone the brightness down a little bit.

If she is mainly going to be in the room at night, you could try a colored light bulb in the lamp - pink or bluish - it will make the wall color look different.

The sunglasses are a fun idea -

Other than that I would not do anything - if you are not going to repaint, it is really too much effort and $$ to cover it all up!!!

My son would love a burnt orange room! Tell her your a Texas Longhorn fan!!! You gotta love the Longhorns!!! With all that aside, I agree with the colored light bulb. If she is a real friend she DOESN'T expect you to paint a room!

You can hang sheets from the tops of the wall, just use thumb tacks. If you don't have the extra sheets you might find them at a thrift store or something.

Two thoughts:

1. that's her problem

2. give her a list of hotels nearby

---------

A third thought: put in lower wattage bulbs, change the curtains to make it darker, put a window shade with room darkening qualities, use just a lamp and not a bright overhead, cover the lamp shade by draping a dark cloth that won't burn over it. See #1 and #2.

-----------

You can't please everybody - by the way, the orange wouldn't bother me, but I can't stand pine wainscoting - see what I mean?

If it is a small border they have wall sticker sheets at the Dollar Tree Store.

Tell her that you hope she enjoys her FREE orange room!

Hi all, thanks so much for all your ideas. She doesn't know that I'm writing this in here, and she would be very upset to know that I have.

She certainly doesn't expect me to change it for her, but I thought if there was something easy, even funny, then I would do it.

Ann

You could try hanging large pictures, paintings, posters that you might have. Then the focus would be on the pictures, not the wall cover. I once used a large tablecloth with a decorative hanging overtop as a "headboard". I just tacked it to the top of the wall. The sheets someone else mentioned are a good idea, as is a low wattage bulb in a lamp next to the bed. Then your friend won't notice so much what the paint color is.

I'd go with the lighting change, but in a blue tone to neutralize the orange, then I'd put money into some nice used but good sheets from the thrift store or garage sale that will distract her attention, and keep the lights down low. She is only visiting, not moving in, so I'd be gracious, make the room as clean and inviting as you can, trusting that God will give her lots of rest, regardless. Fresh flowers from some friend's yard would be a nice personal greeting/touch that may melt an angry heart? Be your kindest self the whole time, cooking/looking your personal best. If that's not good enough, it might be a good thing to know now, so you never have to experience it again? Pray that your efforts will be much appreciated. God bless and help you. : )

Trade rooms with her

or

cover the walls with newspaper or wrapping paper thumbtacked or taped to the walls

Get her some big funky plastic sunglasses!

She will probably be ok my mom hates yellow

and her bath is yellow. She said well it is bright and

clean. She now lives with us and I purchased a new

shower curtain for her bath but she says the yellow

is fine. YOu never know. She will enjoy the visit not the room color.

Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
girl looking at a pimple
Hiding a Pimple
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Money hidden in a china sugar pot.
Hiding Valuables
🎄