Use Natural Lice Shampoo For Fleas

Isn't it pitiful for your pet to scratch and whine, and not even be able to catch a good snooze, because fleas are tormenting him or her? Meanwhile, you are torn between watching them suffer, or taking a chance on doing more harm than good by using chemicals or medicines you don't really feel good about using.

I have a very old, blind, infirm Eskimo Spitz who I love dearly, and would be afraid to use any sort of medication or chemical on, or in, because his system is delicate now and his skin is also tender from age. I have been using this method on him, and he is just fine. I think you will love my solution:

If your pet has really thick or matted fur, or has scratched until she or he has sores, you should probably trim it back as close as possible the first time with just some scissors, so the skin can get plenty of air to help the healing process. Then go to Dollar General; they have lice killing shampoo in two-bottle packages for around $8.00. It contains pyrethrins, a natural insecticide derived from chrysanthemums, and is safe enough for small children, obviously.

Bathe your pet by diluting the shampoo a tiny bit and rubbing it deeply into her fur and skin, for several minutes, just a nice, slow all-over massage (ears too). Then submerse her into a medium amount of warm water. Rinse her off, and do not rinse her again. This will not only kill the fleas, it will keep them off for several weeks.

You can also use the garden center variety of liquid intended to spray for aphids on roses (which is also pyrethrins) in the washer for laundering her bedding and in your carpet shampooer to rid your home of the fleas.

I know this will help her, and you, feel better and you can get back to doing what you do best: lovin' that furry baby!

By dollyslaffn from Darien, GA

Be very careful! Even though this is safe for children it can very toxic to animals and especially cats! Do not use this on cats or small dogs or get on their skin. I'm speaking from hands-on experience.

We bathed our cat and Shih Tzu. The dog had worse respiratory problems than usual and had to be taken in to the vet. The cat, well, he started having convulsions and muscle spasms. It was horrible to see both our beloved pets suffer and they both suffered for almost a week. Both survived but the cat was permanently brain damaged!

I even called the poison control center and they advised to wash, dry, wash, dry repeatedly with Dawn dish soap. Once the pyrethrin was on the skin it went into their bloodstream.

This was a terrible lesson I'll never forget. I'd hate to hear of anyone else going through the same thing.

Pyrethrins are good at killing the fleas in your house, on pet bedding and when used on pets follow the label's instructions and only use what is labeled to be used on your pet.

A pet owner should never take it upon themselves to treat the pet. Many simple products are harmful to pets. Never use over the counter flea ointments on pets. Get advantage or frontline from your vet. These products are safe and effective. I have used them for years, even on a diabetic cat.

I have to agree with the other posters. I would never use alternative flea treatments for my pets. I would never go to a "garden center" and purchase a aphid poison to steam into my carpets. This could be fatal to your family and your pets. You could inadvertently poison your family with the fumes.

There are many flea treatments available for your pets, Revolution is great for cats and dogs, because it treats other parasites like ear mites, Sarcophagi Mange, roundworm, hookworm, and heart worm protection. It is very cost effective and safe.

Some dogs and cats are sensitive to the shampoo ingredient, some are not. Here is a video describing what to look for and also do not use any sort of flea shampoo with pyrethrin if you are pregnant as it can cause autism, from what I read. On the other hand, I like to see people come up with things that work for them. I am glad this works for this old dog. Reactions can happen from chemical topical flea treatments too, as well as with other shampoos. I like to use the advantage but I know other dogs would die from it.

Here is a short video on pyrethrin and what it is, it is natural although, like the poster said, you have to repeat it, since it does not kill the eggs.

Blessings, and thank you for the post and give your sweet old dog a hug from me!

Have you never heard of Advantix? Talk to your veterinarian.

Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas Naturally
Pets FleasDecember 4, 2009
A dog sitting on the grass scratching at fleas.
Using Diatomaceous for Earth Fleas
Mother Nits out of Her Daughters Hair
Preventing Head Lice
Someone using a nit comb on a child's hair.
Getting Rid of Head Lice
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 18, 2016 at 9:05:40 PM on in 992 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.