Quit Smoking by Changing Your Routine

contest winner icon

I never thought I could do it. I've wanted to quit for a very long time, but was afraid of losing my friend the cigarette. After all, the cigarette was with me wherever I went; in the car, on the phone, and at the computer. How often did I get in my car and look in my purse to make sure I had my friend - the cigarettes with me. If they were not, back in the house I'd go, running late again. But I knew I was hurting myself and my pocketbook. So I kept praying not necessarily to quit, but praying for the DESIRE to quit.

You know what, it's working. I've been cigarette free for 2 months and 3 weeks now. I use the prescription Chantix which I am weaning myself off of, and I chew a lot of sugarless gum. But I think what really helped is that I changed my routine. When I was smoking, the first thing I'd do in the morning is pour a cup of coffee and light a cigarette. Then I'd go back to bed to watch the news, until it was time to shower and get ready for work.

Now, I sleep later, get out of bed and shower right away and leave for work. I don't allow myself enough time to drink coffee and smoke. After I eat, instead of lingering over a cigarette, I get right up from the table and do the dishes. I distract myself whenever the urge to have a cigarette hits. Prior to quitting smoking, during my lunch break I would hurry up and eat, so I could go spend the other half hour (even during the cold, cold winter and hot, hot summer) sitting in my car smoking. Now I stay in a nice air conditioned office, eat a leisurely lunch and read.

I've been a smoker since I was 16 years old and I'll soon be 60 years old. Besides, almost 3 years ago I watched as my precious, precious husband died of lung cancer. We were supposed to grow old together. So, just pray for the DESIRE to quit and don't be afraid to ask for help. I hardly miss the cigarettes at all now. I'm so proud of myself and so grateful to God, for the help to stick to it.

By Kathy from Sylvania, OH

I too quit smoking after many, many years. I did not want to quit but had to when I found out I needed surgery to replace 3 disks in my neck. The doctor said that smokers do not heal as well as non-smokers so if I did not quit, instead of using donor disks, he would have to take bone from my hip. He said the recovery would take much longer and would be more painful. Hearing that, I got a prescription of Chantix and quit smoking completely a few weeks before my surgery. To be honest, I planned on going back to smoking as soon as I healed and was released by my doctor.

Well, I have to be honest. Being a non-smoker feels so good, I am still smoke-free after 40 months and I plan to stay a non-smoker. My husband laughed when I told him after walking a long distance that my legs give out before my lungs do now.

I really did it. I quit smoking after 40 years!

Congratulations to both of you. It is hard to quit smoking.

I've been there several times and end up picking them back up for whatever reason. The only bright spot is I do not smoke in my car. I bought a car 18 months ago from a neighbor that was a non smoker and I swore I wasn't going to smoke in it. I haven't broken my word to myself yet.

A few months back I did try again lasted 10 days. I had to help a friend with putting her dog to sleep. That did it for me again. So once again I have to get my mind set and give it another go. It is like giving up a friend. But it isn't a friend, it is an enemy and we all know it. Hopefully next time I will make it.

Congrats on your wonderful accomplishment!

Congratulations to every single former smoker! I have a son who's going through the same struggle, and both my parents smoked while I was growing up. Hubby smoked until his heart attack 10 years ago. I've never smoked, but I definitely sympathize. You're right, Kathy: praying to quit may or may not have worked. Praying for the desire to quit was very wise. I'm so glad it worked!

I've never smoked; sugar is my vice and, truth be know, it's probably just as bad. I crave sugar after every meal. I quite keeping desserts in the house but sometimes the craving is so intense that I get in my car and drive to Sonic for a malt or cola. I once ate a whole chocolate in less than a week by myself. Diabetics runs in my family and I know I should control this but it seems impossible. Congratulations to you!

I'm so glad to hear that you can quit. I too am trying. My doctor gave me a perscription for Zban. I don't think its working very well, but I am going to also change my routine and see if that helps!

If it can work for others then it can work for me too!

Congratulations to you! That is an awesome accomplishment.

I don't think the desire for a cigarette ever totally leaves but it is manageable and only fleeting!

I was forced to quit over a year ago - I was in hospital with pneumonia, on ventilator and they didn't think they could take me off of it - but I made it. I have chronic bronchitis which means COPD. When I left the hospital for transitional care I was told if I smoked again I'd be right back and probably not make it again. This time I was lucky. I Have not have one since Jan 4th, 2014. I do get a fleeting urge but let it pass - I tell myself NO! and it is not taking long to go away at all now.

So hang in there quitting is tough but it can be done and you will feel better for it I promise. I too had smoked since I was 16 and now at 80 I am glad to be off that nasty drug. I do still love the smell and inhale deeply when I get a wiff! LOL!

I have been smoke free for over 10 years... still get the craving. I used the herbal....smoke away to quit. I know of 4 other people who also quit with smoke away. I think it is now only available on the internet but is very successful. Good luck.

Quit Smoking
Quitting Smoking
Health & Beauty AdviceJuly 26, 2011
someone smoking
Dealing with Smoking at Family Gatherings
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
E-Cigarettes
Using Electronic Cigarettes to Quit Smoking
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table
🎉
🎄