Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning Cat Pee Off A Couch

My cat has peed on my sofa once again! The smell is so awful that I can't enjoy sitting in my living room anymore. I need a home remedy that is going to work. Please help.

By Tammy from Chicago, IL

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By angelmom4748111/09/2013

I got cat urine out of my leather chair with white distilled vinegar. I think I just used straight vinegar. The cat then sprayed my micro fiber sofa. I pulled the covers of the cushions and washed them with vinegar and borox in the washing machine and I don't smell anything on them. I sprayed the foam of the cushions with 50/50 mix vinegar and water covered with plastic and keeping my fingers crossed. So far the vingar has worked beautifully for me. Also once it dries the oder goes away (well in this case both odors). Good Luck.

By Amber08/11/2010

I have the same problem. Got a nice couch given to me by a friend but their cat must have peed on it at some point. The problem is that this couch is of a leather type material and the cushions aren't removable. I tried the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish soap trick and it didn't seem to work between the cushions. It's starting to stink up my little apartment. Am I going to have to just toss the couch?

By susan [33]08/04/2010

Be sure to take the cover off the cushion also if this is the area, you will need to treat the foam etc. too.

By Lynne [1]08/04/2010

This is not exactly a home remedy, but it is something I believe will help you, and is very inexpensive. I found a wonderful product at my local Dollar Tree stores. It's called Ry Pet's Friend Odor, Stain, & Urine Remover. It comes in a 16 oz. spray bottle and yes, costs just $1. (my stores do not always have this in stock, so you may have to check back a time or two) It works exactly like the Nature's Miracle enzyme product, which I used to buy at the pet store for SO much more. I have not tried it on furniture, but have used it on large areas of carpeting & padding that have been saturated with cat urine, & the smell is 100% gone. I swear by this product & would definitely give it a try on your couch. Test on a small area first, of course, for color fastness. This is a great product & for $1.00?? You can't find a better deal.

By Connie P. [17]08/04/2010

Hi, Seeing your post about cat pee on couch reminded me of a cat named Tom I once had. Got him as a kitten and after a visit from a friend with a dog, that cat started to pee on my couch. I think it had to do with marking territory. I used everything I could think of to clean it and finally got rid of the couch. Then, same cat repeated his bad behavior on the new couch. I started buying large plastic drop cloths at the dollar store to cover the couch. That worked. I loved that old cat and kept him until he got sick and died. There is a product called UrineGone which is very good. A little pricey but still, it works and with cat urine so powerful, home remedies simply won't work. Good luck and God bless. Connie in OH

By J [1]08/03/2010

Something I have used many times is called Stink Free (for cat urine). They make it for dogs, too. I bought it at PetSmart. You just pour enough on the spot to saturate and let it dry. I would probably use the Bissell thing if using it on a couch or bed. It has worked every time.