Contact Paper to Refresh Counter Tops

It might sound tacky, but putting contact paper over your Formica counter top works. I was cleaning the bathroom prior to having the family over for Christmas dinner. The counter was just so sad looking. It needed a pick-me-up. I remembered this trick I had heard and thought for five bucks I would give it a try.

I made sure the counter was clean and dry. I ran the paper from side to side and over the front. Cutting around sink and edges with a razor blade. Then again from side to side along the back, using half the width of the paper and allowing the clean edge to over lap. When I was done it looked clean and new and you couldn't even see the seam. The trick is to use a busy pattern, like granite.

Thanks for the tip, Jan. If I win, we'll go to lunch.

By suzec58986

Right on, Suz! Been there, done that! I had a mess in my trailer bathroom, an' didn't like the dark "paneled" walls in there either. I had a marble-pattern contact paper and did the walls & ceiling as well as the counter. It really lightened and brightened up the tiny room, and that counter top hung in for years n years without a problem! And the cost was nil, compared to other alternatives!

Now I'm wishing I'd thought to post this, a sighted assistant and I refreshed my formica countertops like this, just this past summer! Kudos to you for sharing!

So many great uses for this stuff! I use it counter tops and drawers and tables. Love contact paper! I found a couple new styles here: ... ct-Paper-Self-Adhesive-shelf-liners/

Checkerboard Contact Paper
Using Contact Paper on Countertops
Home and Garden Home Improvement Helpful HintsDecember 13, 2010
Before photo of painted laminate countertop.
Polishing Counter Tops
Recycled Summer Top
Recycled Summer Tops
fresh carrots with tops
Crispy Carrot Tops
Uses for Contact Lens Cases, Green and white contact lens case.
Uses for Contact Lens Cases