Contact Paper to Refresh Counter Tops

It might sound tacky, but putting contact paper over your Formica counter top works. I was cleaning the bathroom prior to having the family over for Christmas dinner. The counter was just so sad looking. It needed a pick-me-up. I remembered this trick I had heard and thought for five bucks I would give it a try.

I made sure the counter was clean and dry. I ran the paper from side to side and over the front. Cutting around sink and edges with a razor blade. Then again from side to side along the back, using half the width of the paper and allowing the clean edge to over lap. When I was done it looked clean and new and you couldn't even see the seam. The trick is to use a busy pattern, like granite.

Thanks for the tip, Jan. If I win, we'll go to lunch.

By suzec58986

Right on, Suz! Been there, done that! I had a mess in my trailer bathroom, an' didn't like the dark "paneled" walls in there either. I had a marble-pattern contact paper and did the walls & ceiling as well as the counter. It really lightened and brightened up the tiny room, and that counter top hung in for years n years without a problem! And the cost was nil, compared to other alternatives!

Now I'm wishing I'd thought to post this, a sighted assistant and I refreshed my formica countertops like this, just this past summer! Kudos to you for sharing!

So many great uses for this stuff! I use it counter tops and drawers and tables. Love contact paper! I found a couple new styles here: http://www.inte  ve-shelf-liners/