Lois Ann's Christmas Memory - Categories:

TraditionsChristmas

Lois Ann's Christmas Memory

It had been a particularly warm winter that year in the 1980s, no snow at all. The temps were extremely high for the Buffalo, New York region. Everyone was depressed because of the lack of snow.

At church choir, we would be singing "The Snow Lay on the Ground" in practice, but it just didn't seem to fit the season. But this year, December seemed like May or early June. The weather forecasters were uncertain about a white Christmas. Playing "White Christmas" and hoping for the best was all we could do at that point. (except for those Grinches who didn't like snow!)

At our church at that time, the choir would sing for the Christmas program at 11 PM, then sing the entire Midnight Mass and then occasionally there would be the Mass of the Angels at 1 AM. So, dutifully, we went upstairs to our places and sang our hearts out. Joy to the World, Silent Night, O Come all Ye Faithful... the glorious songs of times past and times present.

We sang from 11 PM until we went to downstairs for Holy Communion. I looked out the church window and coming down in huge fluffy snowflakes, was the season's first snowfall.

Silly as it sounds, we all rejoiced at seeing the wonderful snow in our own Winter Wonderland of Joy, a winter gift of nature to a group of warm-weary snow angels!

By Lois Ann from New York

View More Christmas Family Traditions

Share Your Christmas Family Tradition

Lois Ann, my family and I moved to a town near Buffalo, NY just before Christmas in 1964. It had already snowed 100 inches up to that point! We had moved there from East Tennessee and the snow was a wonder for us and especially for me. We lived there only a few months and then moved to Missouri, but that Christmas in the snow in NY is one of my favorite memories. I can imagine how depressed your community must have been when there was NO SNOW!

Holidays and Parties Christmas TraditionsDecember 18, 2004
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
Raggedy Ann
Raggedy Ann Birthday Party Ideas
Simple square block quilt made from vintage fabric.
Making a Memory Quilt
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 18, 2016 at 5:16:13 PM on 10.0.2.204 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.