Alberta Spruce Shedding Foliage

I have an Alberta Spruce that has shed half of it's foliage. It looks like "pac-man" took a bite. Is there anything I can do to repair the missing area? Your help is much appreciated.

By SpruceLee from OH

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I would take a picture and some sample foliage into a local nursery and ask them. Sounds like a fungus or other issue that needs treatment.

It could be winterkill, which means it was not watered deeply enough before the dry winter season. It could also be a disease. Either way, it most likely won't grow back so prune until you get to live wood.

All evergreen trees require nutrients, just like our lawns and flowers. You can often find fertilizer spikes specifically for evergreens at the garden centre (I like the Jobe's brand, WalMart here in Canada sells them). You put them under the drip line of the tree (where the furthest branches reach) and hammer them in to the ground. I believe that evergreens also need copper as a nutrient, not that you want to feed pennies to your trees (not very thrifty) but you might want to amend your soil with organic mulch or manure. I actually live in Alberta, which is zone 3 so maybe your climate is too mild (LOL!). A use for the dropped needles is to add them to your strawberries, it makes them taste more like wild strawberries. Good luck!

How often should you fertilize them?

The top third of my alberta spruce is turning brown and losing needles. The bottom two thirds is green with new growth. The tree is about 4 years old and healthy until now. What can I do?

Caring for an Alberta Spruce
Caring for an Alberta Spruce
Home and Garden Gardening Trees Tree HealthMay 27, 2009
A dog's brush next to a pile of dog hair.
Reducing Your Dog's Shedding
A Persian cat with long hair.
Reducing Your Cat's Shedding
Alberta Spruce Tree
Alberta Spruce Tree Turning Brown
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 8:36:46 PM on 10.0.1.175 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.