IndoorGardening

Indoor Lava Plant is Dying

I have an indoor lava plant. I have had it for 8 month. It began to die soon after I got it home from an IKEA store. It use to have a beautiful bloom, but it has slowly died off. I have tried a small bit of fertilizer in the water for household plants and putting a dome over it to keep it moist, but it just continues to almost rot. You are supposed to sit it in a plate full of very shallow water to water it. I let it dry out between watering and that doesn't help. The photo of the plant is when I brought it home from IKEA.

Hardiness Zone: 9b

By Deborah from Vero Beach, FL

Anthuriums require little care, and bloom almost continuously in good conditions. It likes bright light and needs to dry out between watering, making good drainage essential. I would try letting it dry out some between waterings. Does the water you are using have chlorine or flouride in it? If so that could be part of your problem. If so let the water sit in an open bucket for 48 hours to allow the chlorine and flouride to evaporate.

To get continual blossoms, you will need to use a blooming plant food. Look for a food where the middle number is the largest of the three numbers, representing high phosphoric acid content. When the first number, representing Nitrogen, is the largest number, it is good foliage plant food, and the third number, representing Soluble Potash, is for stronger root development, which is a good transplanting food. Feed your Antherium every other month to ensure a healthy blooming plant. With the Anthurium, as with any houseplant, the more light, the more foliage, the more water, the more plant food.