Keep a Recipe Record Book

This is my idea for keeping track of good recipes; ones I find and modify, family recipes, and ones I make up myself. I buy those little hard-bound record books, Simplex Records, to write my recipes in. Each page is about perfect for one recipe, though some recipes take two pages. Some journals can work well also.

I started my first one in 1980, and I'm working on filling my third. They reflect the changes in my cooking style over the years. Each one is a different color so that I can tell at a glance which one to grab. Every time I make something up on the fly and it turns out really good, I put it in my current book. My first book has some of my mother's recipes in it (I wish I had a lot more of her recipes!). I love "finding" an old recipe I had forgotten, like my first piccallili, which was already an old recipe back in '80. Someday I will pass them on to my daughter, and I hope she'll enjoy them - and add her own.

I call my books "How to Burn Water: Recipes for Haute, and not so Haute, Cuisine", and date each one when I start them.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

Hi there, nice article and what a good idea, would you be willing to share the recipe for the piccallili? My great grandmother use to make it, she was 98 when she passed in 1980 (she called it end of the garden) thanks for the article. Terri :)

Wooden Recipes Box
Organizing Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsFebruary 4, 2011
Self-Publishing a Book
Self-Publishing a Book
Stack of paperback books.
Repairing a Paperback Book
Making a Recycled Vinyl Record Tablet Holder
Old Record Player
Uses for Old Record Players