Red Pepper as a Pest Deterrent

Two years ago I planted quite a few annuals, particularly impatiens, which I love. Within 10 days, nearly all of them had been munched right down to the ground. GRRR!

Then I heard a tip and tried it when I replanted all the flowers. I scattered garlic powder and red pepper flakes throughout the bed and no more herbivore carnage! I have moles, gophers and even woodchucks in both my yard and in a large field across the street. Who knows which of the critters were using my garden as a salad bar, but they sure didn't like the seasonings I used.

Pick some up at the Dollar Store for super low prices, and keep in mind that this is organic and non-fatal. It's just a repellent.

By pollylev

I used to suggest this very same thing here on ThriftyFun (it does work!) But then I read a post about cats & dogs getting the hot peppers into their eyes & digging their eyes out because of the pain (all t takes is a little wind!) because of the hot peppers.

I guess it's fine as long as you don't have a curious neighborhood cat or a pet dog that may wander into your garden. I know my cat occasionally goes into the neighbors yard. It would be a bummer if he was blinded by something like this. If you're gonna do it anyway, I think it may work better if you bought pepper spray & sprayed it directly on to the plants. But I know I'll never use hot peppers again in my garden because I love my cat (& the other neighborhood cats as well).

My cat got rid of my large population of moles & he keeps the bunnies away as well. An outdoor cat might be a better way to go. One rescued from a shelter. You can also buy garlic in a liquid form. spray this directly on to the plants & it keeps the bugs from eating your plants as well!

June 30, 2009 Flag

Sprinkle red pepper around your plants and the cats, squirrels, mice, etc. won't go near them.

By Susan from Gloversville, NY

Red Pepper as a Pest Deterrent

Yep, Cayenne is the best. This is the ONE time that the dollar store herbs don't matter. (02/06/2007)

By michawnpita

Red Pepper as a Pest Deterrent

I love this one and will try it today! I've always had trouble with mice being by a gully. Thanks! HUGS (02/07/2007)

By Judy

Red Pepper as a Pest Deterrent

Cayenne and even curry powder ("hot" spices) are also very good for keeping ants away. Sprinkle under doorsills every 3 - 4 weeks. Cheers, Rose Anne (02/07/2007)

By wordswork

Red Pepper as a Pest Deterrent

Also, mix some dish soap with water and mist the plants to keep bugs away too! (02/08/2007)

By Lily 59

Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlJune 30, 2009
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Red delicious apples.
Recipes Using Red Delicious Apples
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors