Advice For Night Blooming Cereus

I have a Queen of the Night/Baby in the Manger that just bloomed tonight/morning. I have never seen that before. Awesome! My question is do you think if I cut the bloom before it closes I can keep the smell and if so how? It smells so good.

By Richie from TN

Answers

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Richie,

It has been my experience that you cannot keep the scent of the bloom. I have tried several methods, including placing the freshly cut bloom in the cold and dark of the refrigerator. I did this because I wanted to show the bloom to a friend later in the day. In the refrigerator, the bloom still closes within 3-4 hours and loses it's scent. What a shame.

Doug

August 27, 2010 Flag

I have a wonderful night blooming cereus and as the blooms are growing (two inch tips) they turn black and do not bloom. Can anyone help me ? I would love to see it in it's full glory. Am I over watering it?

Hardiness Zone: 9b

Kathy from Land O Lakes, FL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
cereus flowers against black background
Epiphyllum (Night Blooming Cereus) Photos and Information
Home and Garden Gardening CactusAugust 27, 2010
Crepe Myrtle Not Blooming
Crepe Myrtle Not Blooming
moonflower closeup
Growing Moonflowers
Gladiolus
Growing Summer Blooming Bulbs
Tomato Plants Not Blooming
Tomato Plants Not Blooming
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 8:47:27 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.