Drilling Holes In Sea Shells

I have many shells that I would like to make into necklaces but I don't know how to drill a hole in them?

Lynette from Michigan

Answers:

Use A Dremel

A Dremel tool works well also because it's higher speed than your regular drill. Especially good for delicate shells; use a very small bit.

By tinatalker

Ceramic Drill Bits

Hardware stores carry ceramic drill bits; for drilling holes in ceramic tile; special hardened steel. I just used one with my regular drill-driver to put holes in about half a dozen shells for my daughter. Might not last as long as a diamond bit; but lots cheaper. I dipped the bit in a bowl of water before and during use, just to avoid dust and keep bit from getting too hot. If the shell is slick, it's a little hard to get it started in one spot, it keeps drifting until it gets a good start; but otherwise it was very simple. Not too much pressure, you can crack the shell; but I didn't have any problem.

By Loneshtar

Use Masking Tape

How about some masking tape down first and mark the spot where you want to drill. You can drill holes in glass using a normal bit, just keep the speed down and using some turpentine on the tip for lubrication so drilling a shell shouldn't be a problem. The tape will stop the drill bit from wandering and should take some of the vibration away so the shell doesn't break. Perspex, being difficult to cut, has adhesive backing which does the same thing as the masking tape. To be sure that the shell doesnt break, start with a small bit and work up. Don't use pressure on the shell, allow the drill to do the work. Use some turpentine to lubricate the bit. I am sure that you will find the best method, hope those tips help.

By Brent

Do you have any ideas for drilling holes in sea shells? Post them below.

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

How do you cut sea shells?

When drilling seashells it can be difficult to hold the shell in place. I use a lump of my son's plastacine. It's cheap, simple to use and very effective at holding the shell steady while you drill. I was delighted when I read this handy tip in another forum so decided to share. I hope it helps others too !

Where can you find a dremel tool?

Editor's Note: Dremels should be available at any large hardware or home improvement section. They would be located with the drills and sanders.

Follow the good advice in the other postings. I used diamond points to drill. You can find cheap diamond points, both in price and of fair quality from Harborfreight.com. They offer both 1/8 inch (Drimmel size) sets on their own and a set of 3/16 inch (dental lathe size) as part of a little 12VDC small hand "dremmel" type tool. Buy the set with the 3/16inch diamond tip points and toss the cheap little tool they come with if you have a 3/16" (dental) lathe / tool or 3/16" adapter for a real Drimmel tool.

When you drill with diamomd points, ALWAYS use water to cool the points or they will fail quickly. This also keeps the dust down, but wear a good quality filter mask or use a vacuume to catch any dust/spray. A small wax or plastic modeling clay dam around your drilling area helps to hold the water. As stated before, be cool, let the tool do the work, Luke.

REMEMBER, with 110 Volt tools. You do not want to mix water and the tool~~~~ZAP!

Answer

I have several beautiful polished and unpolished sea shells and I would like to put holes in them so I can macrame a lamp or a table decoration with them and I am having trouble finding a way to do this. Can you help with this and do you have any shell ideas and patterns?

Thanks, Sandy from Kalamazoo, Michigan

Answers:

Drilling Holes In Sea Shells

How about some masking tape down first and mark the spot where you want to drill. You can drill holes in glass using a normal bit, just keep the speed down and using some turpentine on the tip for lubrication so drilling a shell shouldnt be a problem. The tape will stop the drill bit from wandering and should take some of the vibration away so the shell doesnt break. Perspex, being difficult to cut, has adhesive backing which does the same thing as the masking tape. To be sure that the shell doesnt break, start with a small bit and work up. Don't use pressure on the shell, allow the drill to do the work. Use some turpentine to lubricate the bit. I am sure that you will find the best method, hope those tips help.

By Brent

Drilling Holes In Sea Shells

Hi, use the smallest ceramic bit you can find.

By Denise

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What is the best drill bit to use to drill holes in sea shells? I am trying to make some Christmas decorations with the pile of sea shells I have accomulated.

Melody

Answers:

Drilling Holes In Sea Shells

Try masonry bits (08/31/2005)

Drilling Holes In Sea Shells

A Dremel tool works well also because it's higher speed than your regular drill . Especially good for delicate shells; use a very small bit. (09/05/2005)

By tinatalker

Drilling Holes In Sea Shells

Hardware stores carry ceramic drill bits; for drilling holes in ceramic tile; special hardened steel. I just used one with my regular drill-driver to put holes in about half a dozen shells for my daughter. Might not last as long as a diamond bit; but lots cheaper. I dipped the bit in a bowl of water before and during use, just to avoid dust and keep bit from getting too hot. If the shell is slick, it's a little hard to get it started in one spot, it keeps drifting until it gets a good start; but otherwise it was very simple. Not too much pressure, you can crack the shell; but I didn't have any problem. (07/16/2006)

By Loneshtar

Drilling Holes In Sea Shells

I tried masonry bits with a dremel tool on seashells; I don't recommend it... (12/24/2006)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Kids Shell Jewelry
Making Shell Jewelry
Crafts NatureJuly 25, 2007
Drilling Holes in Glass
Drilling Holes in Glass
Clean Seashells
Cleaning Seashells
Taco Shells
Making Taco Shells
sea shell switch plate
Decorating With Sea Shells
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 6:02:55 AM on 10.0.1.243 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.