Nail Fungus Remedies

What is a good home remedy for toe nail fungus?

By Deborah

Best Answer

My husband has the same problem with toe nail fungus and he uses a home remedy. Buy a bag of cotton balls and cut each in half since you don't need to use a full cotton ball. Saturate the cotton ball with cider vinegar and apply to each toe nail before going to bed each night.

You have to be consistent with this treatment.

The reason why he won't take medication that the doctor prescribed is that it could destroy his liver over time.

Best Answer

After battling mine for over a year and being told that the only effective route were pills, I instead chose to rub cold pressed coconut oil on my toe after my shower each morning. It was gone in two weeks!

You need to take an oral anti fungal to get rid of the full issue. Your body is harboring it. Did not matter how much topical meds my son used, putting the oral on board made it go away.

I've had it for six years and pretty much gave up because I am not going to damage my liver to get rid of the fungus. I tried all the home remedies over the years to no avail. It does improve the appearance of the nail to use Vicks vaporrub though. However, I started a no flour no sugar diet several months ago and was surprised to see my fungus is clearing up. It must be cutting out the sugar. I never thought I could wear sandals without being self-conscious again. I do cheat a little on the sugar like if it is a special occasion. But I think there is a lot of hidden sugar in our foods. I started checking labels and I won't buy anything that has more than 2 grams of sugar unless it is pure fruit. I use date syrup as a sweetener so I get to eat some of the sweet stuff without having to rely on artificial sweeteners. I am excited about my discovery and wanted to share. I wonder how common nail fungus is in countries where the sugar intake is low?

July 21, 2011 Flag

I have had nail fungus on two toenails for years. Both nails became so thick that it hurt me to wear closed shoes. I went to the podiatrist and he sold me some oil for $40 for a half ounce. I used it faithfully. When that ran out I bought some more. But after a year, the improvement was so slight it was useless. At that rate, it would be ten years before they healed.

I did recall that he said any remedy for nail fungus had to be oil based in order to penetrate the nail. I had some oil of oregano that I had used for a sore throat. I read up on it, and one of its wonderful abilities is to kill fungus. I have been using it for six months now, and the bad part of both nails is almost completely grown out. The new nails look so healthy! I am jazzed!

I will keep using this oil (which retails for around $30 for a one ounce bottle) for about a year to make sure the fungus is gone. I hope this helps someone. I have a dear friend who elected to have her toenails all removed. (shudder)

By Coreen from Rupert, ID

When I developed a fungus on my big toe my doctor sent me to Walmart to buy a jar of Vicks salve. I spread it over the infected area twice a day and could see the results in less than a week. It took close to a month to grow out but I haven't had any problems since.

Someone on here one time said try Vicks Vapor Rub the dollar store brand and apply it to the nail and under and rub in, almost instant results and I had thick callouses on the heels and big toe and it softened them and they peeled and are normal in less than 3 months.

Tea tree oil is very effective also and can be quite a bit cheaper to purchase. I had the same problem with toe nails on both feet and am happy to say I have lovely healthy nails now! It does take applying the oil at least once a day for a number of months until the nails grow out.

After trying prescription lotion, pills, & paint on stuff, I read about tea tree oil. Used it 2X per day & in about 3-4 months

the fungus was gone. When I told my Dr., he took down the information (including where to get it) & said he was going to pass it on to other patients. If it irritates your skin...mix it with a little bit of olive, sesame, almond oil, etc.

June 15, 2010 Flag

I am looking for a remedy for nail fungus. Also, I would like to know if anyone knows what to use to clean tubs and showers that will prevent the fungus from spreading to others.

Nail Fungus Remedies

I have had a problem with fingernail fungus to the point that sometimes the skin splits near or under the nail. OUCH! That is so painful. My husband suggested I use some of the over the counter meds i.e.: Lotrimin. I rub this on a few times a day and it has made an amazing difference. Relieves the pain and heals the fungus. You have to be patient, but it is worth it. (02/21/2006)

By Cindy in Colorado

Nail Fungus Remedies

The essential oil: Tea tree oil. 1 tsp of this essential oil disinfects 1 washer load. Put some in some warm water and wash the area with fungus; and I put a teaspoon of the oil in a quart size sprayer and water, and wash the tub, toilet, etc, this is my disinfectant of choice. I am allergic to most cleaners on the market. I wash my floor with it as well. (02/21/2006)

By sshep

Nail Fungus Remedies

I have soaked my toes in vinegar, white or apple cider. I did that for about 2 weeks for maybe 10 minutes a day and did see an improvement. But it stunk, and of course I got tired of it.

I find I use vinegar for many, many things. (02/21/2006)

By sandy

Nail Fungus Remedies

This sounds kind of different, but I have heard that the old fashioned Vick's works. (02/21/2006)

By Dee.

Nail Fungus Remedies

I just heard a radio program on nail fungus and they also said Vick's Vapor Rub, applied morning and night, will do the trick. It may take a while but it DOES work. (02/21/2006)

By Anne

Nail Fungus Remedies

Vick's Vapor Rub works for nail fungus and it is a slow process, but anything you use is slow. Any disinfectant will work for the tub. Make sure the fungus person is not sharing towels, bar soap, washcloths, or bathmats if they get out wet. Good luck! (02/22/2006)

By suzi_homemaker01

Nail Fungus Remedies

I used tea tree oil and I did notice a difference over time. I had had it on my big toenail for years though so the fungus was deep and the nail was thick. I'm allergic to the pills you can take so I eventually had the nail removed. I put tea tree oil on it (after it healed some) as the nail was growing back in and it's never returned. (02/22/2006)

By nancyec

Nail Fungus Remedies

Cleaning with any product with bleach as an ingredient will kill the fungus. When I travel, I use Lysol spray on tubs. I use Lysol on the home tub/shower between cleanings (02/22/2006)

By Teddilyn56

Nail Fungus Remedies

Listerine mouthwash. (03/25/2006)

By badwater

Nail Fungus Remedies (CURE!)

STOP! This IS the cure...AND INSTANTLY!

There are many gardeners around the world that would appreciate this bit of info.

You could be very healthy and get this gardening. Doctors are seeing scores of patients each year, and there WAS no sure cure. The medication ranges from medication taken internally or topical, ALL was way too expensive and unreliable! Nothing worked, just prolonged the pain and suffering. And the medication has to be monitored in case it damages your liver, that's why many doctors refuse to prescribe it.

The fungus somehow gets under your fingernails and eats away at the bed of the nail until it totally falls off. This is like a long and burning torture! I saw my mother with it in the toenails and fingernails (raised her 9 children and kept a large garden), younger brother had suffered with it in all his fingernails and lost them, this also takes many weeks and months to grow back. My cousins also had it, and all of us live in far distances from one another. My doctor, he said "I too had this, it comes from the dirt...I am a gardener...It's called 'White Fungus'" Even my Mini-Schnauzer got it in his toenails!

Yes, all suffered, until it hit MY FINGERS! Well, no one or anything messes with me! After I had enough of it, I began to think outside the box (so-to-speak). I said, "Hmmm, 'fungus'? I wonder...(and looked at the bottle of 'Tilex Mildew Remover') says it kills all fungus!" (I noticed NOW it doesn't anymore on the label.)

CURE: I took a paper cup and put a couple drops in, then I rested a toothpick in it for a couple of seconds, then ran it under my nails, and voila! Instantly the burning stopped, and that was all I did (after a year of suffering!). Never again will I suffer this. It has been years since and never came back, too bad my folks suffered before me! (10/13/2007)

By Deb Skonecki

Nail Fungus Remedies

The Vick's treatment does work, but you can save money by buying a generic version of Vick's. It will work just like the brand name and you will have a couple more dollars in savings! (04/27/2009)

By redcat41

Nail Fungus Remedies

This remedy has been used for toe nail fungus. Use one part white vinegar to one part warm water and soak the infected part. You can also spray or apply a few drops of white vinegar several times a day. (05/19/2009)

By abc8xyz

Nail Fungus Remedies

I put a couple of drops of tea tree oil in a smaller spray bottle with water. I shake it up every time I spray, but, the nail that is growing now coming from the cuticle area, it's coming out normal again. I don't have to do it every day, but, I could if I want, it works just the same anyway. As soon as I get all of the rest of the nail when it needs to be cut, each time my nail looks better and better. Right now it is about 3/4 of the nail healed. I mostly spray at the cuticle, the top of the toe nail, and sometimes between my toes. It's working very well now, it is taking time for the toenail to keep cutting the nail off as soon as needed. (10/18/2009)

By Kas2

Photo of a toe with toenail fungus.
Getting Rid of Toenail Fungus
Health & Beauty BeautyJune 15, 2010
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
woman caring for a peace plant
Getting Rid of Fungus Gnats
Health Benefits of Oregano Oil
Health Benefits of Oregano Oil
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet