Help With Speech for Receiving a Business Student Award

I will be receiving an award for being the best business student. What can I say?

By Eve from Vanderijlpark, SA

Appropriate humor is fine but don't overdo it. The first time I had to accept an award, I got up on stage and reached into my sport coat jacket inside pocket and pulled out a roll of typewriter paper that was just going to trash. I taped several sheets together and then rolled it up. I began my speech by saying (as I pulled out the roll of paper and let it unroll in front of me), "Unaccustomed as I am to public speaking, I took the liberty of making a few notes." After the laughter, I continued by just being honest about the award and what it meant to me. The whole thing took less than a minute and I got several compliments on it. After that, I looked around and found a public speaking group called Toastmasters International which is a great, almost free group that helps you learn your way around speaking in public, often when you are not expecting to have to speak.

Being humble when accepting an award is always gracious. Trying humor can insult those whom you wish not to offend.

This sounds like a school based award, I would ask a school counselor to read what you plan to say, it will keep you comfortable, and out of trouble with your words.

If you have someone to thank for giving the award, you thank them first.

Then you give credit to parents, friends, teachers, etc pick those, or if 1, it is o.k. to say their name at that point. A hint from watching awards on TV, it gets boring when you have a who's who list and try not to miss a person. You insult those who are left out. Keeping it simple is always best.

Make sure your smile sounds appreciateve!

Receiving an Award
Speech Ideas for Receiving an Award
EducationJune 22, 2010
First Communion
First Communion Speech Ideas
Business Travel Tips, Business Woman on Laptop in Airport
Business Travel Tips
daughter giving mother a gift
Thank You Speech for Mother's 80 Birthday
1st prize ribbon
Displaying Award Ribbons