Using Up Corn And Flour Tortillas

Every time I purchase a small package of tortillas, about half of the package sits for days on the counter top or in the fridge 'til I wonder about its freshness and throw it out. I decided to resolve this situation by purchasing "101 Things To Do With A Tortilla" by S. Ashcraft and D. Kelly.

Got it at the "All Books $4.95" bookstore (although some are priced closer to $2). ISBN 1-58685-469-0

I went through it and wrote down the page numbers for recipes calling for gorditas, flour and corn tortillas and chips.

FYI: The book says that the tortillas store well in the fridge for about 2 weeks or in the freezer for 2 to 3 months. This should cut down on a lot of waste.

Why don't you just freeze some? That's my solution, since they're so much cheaper in the big package. Glad to meet a fellow tortilla lover!

When I have leftover corn tortillas I do one of two things with them. My favorite is to cut them into thin strips with a pizza cutter, then put them on a cookie sheet, spray them with cooking spray, and sprinkle with seasoned salt, or a salt-less blend. Then I bake them at 350 until they get crispy. They make great additions to soups and salads. Similarly, you can cut them into wedges, spray, season, and bake for homemade tortilla chips.

My favorite thing to do with the flour tortillas is to cut them into wedges, spray, then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake and you have really nice chips for fruit sauces, or just to snack on. You could also use savory spices for snacking or salads.

Thanks for this hint. I bought a bag of tortillas at Aldi's. Aldi's used to put them in the refrigerated section, but they no longer are. They are now on the shelf. I wondered how long they would last. There seems to be no expiration date on the bag. I guess I'll put them out for the birds.

Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversFebruary 16, 2007
Cake Flour
Using Cake Flour
Bread Machine
Recipes Using All Purpose Flour in Bread Machine
A stack of corn tortillas.
Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipes
Sifting Flower
Sifting Flour Without a Sifter