Buying Gift Cards to Save for Christmas

I get a gift card at Walmart and when I do my grocery shopping, I add $10.00 on the card and I tuck it in my purse in a special place. You can get different designs. I do this the entire year and at Christmas, I can either use them as gifts or I can use them to buy gifts. It makes that time of year easier. You can also do it for birthdays etc.

The cashier told me they do not expire and they do not start charging fees off of the card. It can really add up over a year and you do not miss the small amounts. I buy one that looks like a gas pump for my son so he can use it for gas. I put it in his stocking at Christmas. They are newlyweds and money is tight and, after Christmas, it is especially tight. It also lists on your receipt the card number and the total amount on the card each time you add to it.

By MawMaw from Fort Worth, TX

Good idea but buying gift cards a year in advance earns no interest and has less value due to inflation.The feds are raising rates because of inflation.One would be better off put the 10 dollars per week in a savings account and earn a bit of interest.I think banks have plans for such an occasion

Hi MawMaw, Those gift cards are a great idea. When you are mailing gifts, the postage is huge. Here is a way to give a gift (and a some extra) because you aren't paying postage. When I get a gift card, I "mentally" shop many times before actually going to the store and using it. At the end of the month, they are so welcome.

Watch your purse carefully when shopping, at all times of the year. But since the holidays are a few months away, thieves will be out watching for those shoppers not paying attention to their purses in the shopping carts, just hoping to mess up someone's day.

Holidays and Parties Christmas BudgetAugust 14, 2006
Cell Phone User Making call with Card
Saving Money on Phone Cards
Vintage Hank Aaron Baseball Card Leaning Against Old Baseball
Determining the Value of Baseball Cards
A woman filling out Christmas cards.
Saving Money on Christmas Cards
🎉
🎄